What's with the "briefcase" tag on the edge icon?

Anonymous
2023-08-22T07:43:13+00:00

I don't really appreciate random unidentified things like this that just turn up, especially on a work laptop.

Microsoft Edge | Other | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-08-22T21:36:19+00:00

Try this:

Edge > Settings > Search for "Briefcase" > Customize appearance > Show briefcase icon on work profiles | Are you satisfied with seeing the briefcase icon on work profiles?

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-08-22T08:22:02+00:00

Hello Jamie,

I am Jaspreet Singh.

The icon change is for "edge for business" mode of the brower which was announced to be coming in an update later a couple of months back

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-announces...

A few more functionalities have been added in this month : https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/mi...

Disclaimer: this is a non Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate and safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (potentially unwanted products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-08-22T20:15:27+00:00

    Agreed. A red (brown? dunno, same to me, color-blind over here) envelope-looking badge on an icon is distracting.

    While I appreciate the addition and will give it a try on other computers, when I'm using Edge on a business-only computer I'd prefer if I could configure the feature to show no indicator when in business mode.

    Edit: ah ha! Found the setting for this option. Nice!

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-08-23T00:52:40+00:00

    I don't want this at all, why can't I simply turn it completely off?

    My computer is mine. I use Office 365 apps through my school. I don't want a personal microsoft account. I don't want to install apps from the microsoft store. I don't want to use onedrive.

    Now every time I open edge, I get a second shortcut (Work - Edge) planted on my desktop linking to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --profile-directory="Default" and i get that annoying red tag on my taskbar.

    Why? What does --profile-directory="Default" add to my user experience?

    Why am I getting **** like "Welcome to Microsoft Edge for Business, the new experience when signed in with your work account." banners on top of what I am typing right now? I don't care, and I don't want it. How do I stop it?

    Windows 11 is pure trash. Win8, Vista, and ME have nothing on it (and they were terrible). This approaching Bob-level stupidity.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-08-22T19:06:10+00:00

    Here's Microsoft's page about it (this opened by itself for me today in a new browser tab):

    Edge for Business (microsoft.com)

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments