Microsoft Edge: Open links in new tab settings

Anonymous
2020-03-02T01:05:47+00:00

I love using Microsoft Edge, the new version is awesome. However, I'm not able to find option in settings.

I want to open search results link to new tab as soon as I click on any link. Currently, it the link is opened in same window and I lost the search result page.

Only if I click on a button it opens in a new tab. And I could not find any setting for this purpose.

Thanks,

Nishant

Microsoft Edge | Tabs, address bar, and search | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-03-02T01:19:04+00:00

Hi Nishant. I'm Greg, an installation specialist, 10 years Windows MVP, and Volunteer Moderator here to help you.

Hold the Ctrl key and click the link to open in a new tab.

Hold the Shift key and click the link to open in a new page.

Hope it helps.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-12-30T16:42:54+00:00

The original enquiry in this thread, posted more than nine months ago, was this:

I want to open search results link to new tab ...

This presumably applies to the results of a web search. How links on a search results page open is usually a setting in the search engine itself. The browser makes no distinction between these links - on a search results page - and any others. The marked answer gives a solution for all pages viewed in Edge, but it involves using the keyboard. I think the original enquirer was hoping to avoid this.

  • In Bing, go to ≡ Settings > More. The option is under Results on the Settings page.
  • In Google, the option is called Where results openat on the Settings > Search settings menu.
  • For other search pages, look around for settings that will allow you to configure this.

The selection is saved in a cookie. If you're signed in to the search page, it will also be saved in your profile so you don't have to make it again if you sign in on a different machine or in a different browser.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-04T20:48:35+00:00

    ... having 200 tabs open within 2 mins of starting the browser.

    What page are you starting from to make it possible for you to open 200 tabs in two minutes (allowing for a bit of exaggeration)?

    If it's a search results page, in say Bing or Google, then follow the instructions in this post to change the settings in the search engine itself: https://answers.microsoft.com/thread/908a6bc3-0aaa-4079-987f-74c4c0443b78#:~:text=The%20original%20enquiry%20in%20this%20thread

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-03-04T15:57:03+00:00

    Can you please share how you fixed this? I want new windows to open when I click on a link, not a new tab in the same window.

    Please and thank you so much!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-22T20:57:40+00:00

    Any ideas why Ctrl+Click would stop working? Shift+Click continues to work in opening a new window, but Ctrl+Click no longer opens a new tab and it doesn't open the link at all

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments