Edge (Chromium) for Android drains battery too fast

Anonymous
2020-06-01T00:06:46+00:00

Hi,

                I’m writing to inform that Edge for Android is really great but cause a problem that makes me stop using it. It drains my mobile phone battery really fast. At least, 2 to 3 times faster than Firefox for Android. I didn’t make any serious testing, but tried to compare the readings from Android’s battery’s parameters page. So, on common surfing, I realized that for a equivalent time range, Edge was draining my battery that much. It’s sad because I was really enjoying using it. What makes me look at it, was the fact that my phone begin requiring to be charged much faster than ever, even if I wasn’t doing anything different… So, after a little thinking, I finally considered the only new thing in my phone’s usage: Edge instead of Firefox. That’s what made me look at this.

               Looking for a Firefox better option (I don’t like its engine that doesn’t always render pages properly), I also tried Vivaldi and got the same problem as Edge for battery (not surprising as it’s based on Chromium too). So, considering that Edge is greatly improved since its official first Chromium release, I decided to report this in case you want to address the problem. To me, it’s a must because I use my phone for surfing a lot, so I can’t use a browser that drains battery this much… I’ll keep using Firefox and will try Edge again in the future to see if it has been improved on that matter. Maybe I will choose Edge someday.

Microsoft Edge | Other | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-07-08T09:31:31+00:00

    I've had this issue myself, but managed to solve it. For anyone else running into this issue, turning account sync "OFF" might help. I went from 20% background CPU use to small blips of CPU usage.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-07-02T14:54:06+00:00

    Same here. I can confirm this issue. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S10 and rthe phone is getting very hot and drains battery fast when running the app, even in background. I have to uninstalled. Please Microsoft's team, solve this annoying problem. Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-06-19T23:14:34+00:00

    No . It's  still  awful. Edge  beta  used  120  mAh  after  12  active  min  and  12  sec  background . At  the  same  time  chrome  used  140  mAh  after  44  active  min  and  40  min  background . Huge  difference

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-06-18T16:53:45+00:00

    I  will  give  it  a try . I  hope  it's  now  good  enough  because  I  will  continue  using  the  rock  solid  Vivaldi .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-06-18T12:04:38+00:00

    Try  the  new  beta  version,it  has  fixed the  problem  for  me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments