Edge (Chromium) for Android drains battery too fast

Anonymous
2020-06-01T00:06:46+00:00

Hi,

                I’m writing to inform that Edge for Android is really great but cause a problem that makes me stop using it. It drains my mobile phone battery really fast. At least, 2 to 3 times faster than Firefox for Android. I didn’t make any serious testing, but tried to compare the readings from Android’s battery’s parameters page. So, on common surfing, I realized that for a equivalent time range, Edge was draining my battery that much. It’s sad because I was really enjoying using it. What makes me look at it, was the fact that my phone begin requiring to be charged much faster than ever, even if I wasn’t doing anything different… So, after a little thinking, I finally considered the only new thing in my phone’s usage: Edge instead of Firefox. That’s what made me look at this.

               Looking for a Firefox better option (I don’t like its engine that doesn’t always render pages properly), I also tried Vivaldi and got the same problem as Edge for battery (not surprising as it’s based on Chromium too). So, considering that Edge is greatly improved since its official first Chromium release, I decided to report this in case you want to address the problem. To me, it’s a must because I use my phone for surfing a lot, so I can’t use a browser that drains battery this much… I’ll keep using Firefox and will try Edge again in the future to see if it has been improved on that matter. Maybe I will choose Edge someday.

Microsoft Edge | Other | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-12-06T04:22:51+00:00

    For everyone like me that doesn't like Chrome and are not accepting the battery draining problem of Edge, I returned to Firefox for Android (I chose Beta version who's almost totally stable and bringing new features sooner) without any problem. It's only noticeable weakness to me is that it sometimes doesn't make sites to work properly. It's rare though and it gives a way to notify Mozilla of the problem in a particular website through a menu option (easily). It seems to have improve to me on the matter. And, not to forget, it is FAR, FAR more respectful of users privacy and less prone to be a target for hackers because it is not as popular as it once was. With Firefox Sync, it synchronizes everything securely to almost any devices where you could install Firefox.

    I still keep using Chrome very rarely if a site that isn't working on Firefox is working right on Chrome, but, that's it.

    I could say that Vivaldi and Brave are great too, but, lastly, Mozilla has done great with Firefox.

    Maybe Edge will get me back someday, but it would take huge improvement on my battery usage (I'll have to give it a try occasionally to check that). And, I would like to see Microsoft giving a CLEAR option in Edge where EVERYTHING could stay private and out of Microsoft's data mining scheme too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-01-17T07:38:01+00:00

    On my Black Shark 2  android 10, I see in Performance Manager - CPU load. When MS Edge is in background even with one tab, CPU load is on 35%, with chrome its barely 15%. When I close MS Edge in multitask CPU load immediately drops. MS Edge on mobile need optimization with this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-01-24T16:52:03+00:00

    Nope , I have the same problem with a oneplus 6 running a snapdragon 845. But maybe something with adblokcers or vpn like adguard or nordvpn or dns changing maybe?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-12-06T09:34:45+00:00

    Im fine at the moment with edge. It was just during parallel usage of all personal data in chrome and edge. Once i got rid of chrome (e.g. removed all sync of bockmarks etc.) It was fine. Actually its been fine since months now..

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-01-23T04:28:08+00:00

    I wonder if this is a non-Snapdragon device related problem? Because my tab S5e which is a Snapdragon device, it seems to have decent battery consumption but on my Note 9 which is an Exynos variant, it's always the top battery consumption app (even with little use).

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments