How to Stop Edge from Opening Automatically When I Boot Up Computer

Anonymous
2020-05-29T14:53:58+00:00

Every time I boot up or restart my computer, Microsoft Edge automatically opens up. This has been happening ever since the new update for Microsoft Edge. How do I get it to stop?

Microsoft Edge | Open the browser | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-10-18T02:28:33+00:00

    I tried them all - Registry edit, Group Policy Editor, emptying the package, etc. and was getting desperate. The one, and ONLY, solution that worked was as below:

    1. Right-click at an empty space on your desktop and select Personalize. ...
    2. In Personalization settings, select Lock Screen at the left and then at Background options, set one of the other choices (e.g. Picture or Slideshow) to disable the Windows Spotlight.

    Wow! Not sure what this has to do with Edge launching but I ain't going to investigate! LOL.

    OMG! I tried EVERYTHING and this is what worked! Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-10-16T05:20:52+00:00

    Edge is not listed in Startup manger at all, Chrome is set as my default web Browser .

    Brian

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Drew - 810 Reputation points
    2021-10-16T03:17:57+00:00

    Maybe you're ahead of this, but...

    Certainly, you have told the browser, Chrome, to be the default, have set IT as the default.

    Is it set as the default web browser in the OS Settings?

    And 2ndly, in Startup is Edge listed & enabled, there? (Startup tab in Task Mgr)

    Haven't look through the whole thread... this may have been covered, already

    Cheers,
    Drew![](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/c4894846-3ebd-42f4-84f9-f088614862b7?platform=QnA![](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/a06284be-5168-40c4-9683-050ce89e2b41?platform=QnA

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-10-16T01:17:21+00:00

    It does not work Chrome is my default Browser but bloody Edge keeps opening on start up this is not on and needs attention it is very annoying

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-10-14T21:19:25+00:00

    I have Chrome set as my default browser it now opens automatically when I signin but then Edge opens infront of Chrome ,why what is going on with Microsoft pushing a browaer I don't want and will NEVER use

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments