Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
When I am in a web page and click on a link, I stay on the tab I was originally in, but a separate new tab opens up with the link.
This never used to happen - you used to click on a link and you went straight to that page. In IE Explorer, it was possible to decide whether links opened in the same or a new page.
I end up with 20-30 tabs all open, and they are so small, I can't tell which is which - it is a real nuisance. Help please?
Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I have tried all the suggestions listed on this thread, none worked for me.
I have Win10 ver. 20H2, with Microsoft Edge ver. 88.0.705.68
I did however, find a fix for my set up.
The issue was not with the browser but with Bing search as I did not have this problem with Google or Yahoo search engines.
FIX - Once you search something using Microsoft Bing
1. Select the 3 lines on the top right corner of your search page NOT the Edge Browser, then
2. Select 'SafeSearch'
3. Scroll down to 'Results' and uncheck the options as required. I unchecked both for search and results.
Alternatively, you can click on Bing - Settings if this link works for you and proceed with option 3 above unchecking the two boxes.
Hi,
I am a normal user of MS edge. Suddenly, I also faced this issue of new tabs opening on every click. It was not like this earlier.
But now I just discovered a small switch when I typed **'edge opens new tab on every link'**on google. This switch is not available every time! Maybe I had pressed it by mistake sometime, as I am not sure when this switch appears.
I deselected this option, and my problem is solved. I think this may solve your problem also.
You will find this switch saying Open link in new tab
I hope it will help :)
Hi Greg. I'm Jeff, a regular joe, 10 years awarded Microsoft Hero, and volunteer commenter, here to help you.
The reason why your post is marked unhelpful is because you didn't really help much at all - you put two links down and an unwarranted suggestion to contact the devs. I don't know if you're aware of it or not, but the way you've communicated in this thread is somewhat condescending, as-though you have a superiority complex. Listing your "10 years of Windows MVP" as part of your introduction isn't helpful at-all, it's non-information for most people using this forum, and it just seems self-inflatory - few know or care about if the person responding to them is a Windows MVP (whatever one of those is, right? We're just here for software support...).
When the OP reworded their issue, you brushed it off with the StackOverflow classic "this is answered somewhere else" and then said you'd done "everything [you] could". Really? Great, thanks for two links, hope it didn't break your back to find/post them. That's not how all people work, Greg - in your 100,000 helpful forum posts surely you've come across many who don't want to scan links for answers on a forum where people can (and do!) readily just answer the question - several people in this thread have offered far more effective solutions than you. You dropped a few links in, tried made yourself look good by flaunting a few shiny numbers with no meaning, then you got upset when the OP needed more help because what you offered was almost useless. A few links wrapped in a distasteful exhibition of meaningless statistics.
I'm starting to think that you just throw "helpful comments" at the wall and see what sticks, what gets you that lovely little green "solved" tick. I can see from your post history that you actually only solve about 1 in 5 problems, if I'm being generous. The "100,000 people helped" schtick is much less impressive than the reality of "I successfully help about 1 in 5 people". Heck even in your most recent attempt at helping somebody you just posted a bunch of installation gobbledegook and ignored the OP's questions, just as with this post where you, the installation specialist, didn't realise that the issue OP was having was with their search engine (Bing) and not with Edge. You've helped on 100,000 posts in 10 years, but what your profile and manner tell me is that you've also been useless 400,000 other times. Yeesh.
While your volunteering is appreciated, the way you portray yourself comes across as though you're only volunteering so that you look good. You appear to give very quick and ill-thought-out responses to people's queries (are you speedrunning a help forum?) so that you can keep your stats updated and keep yourself feeling a sense of pride. You don a crown of purposelessness atop your throne of irrelevance, Greg.
This worked. Thank you!
HI Dragos. I'm Greg, an installation specialist, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, and Volunteer Moderator, here to help you.
See the discussion here which is the best I can find on that:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/microsofted...?
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/microsofted...
If you want to suggest this to Edge Developers you can choose the Edge Hub (three dots to right of URL address bar) then Help & Feedback, then Send Feedback for form to fill out.
I hope this helps. Based on the results you report back I may have other suggestions if necessary. If you will wait to choose whether the problem is resolved, then I will continue to help until the problem is fixed.
___________________________________________________
Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.