Builds 19593 to 20226 User Profile Logon Issue - Workaround Included

Anonymous
2020-10-06T04:41:28+00:00

If you'd like to share a link to this post, we've created a short URL to assist:https://aka.ms/20226profile

*Edit*  This scenario could impact users in the Dev Channel (only) on builds 19593 through 20226.  The same workaround applies to any user in this build range in the Dev Channel who experiences this scenario.

Hello Windows Insiders,

After the launch of build 20226 to the Dev channel, a small number of users have reported not being able to log into their user profile(s) as expected.  This post covers this scenario, including a workaround for those affected who see the following message:

Note: this workaround ONLY applies to builds 19593 through 20226 on the Dev channel.  It does not apply to Retail users, or users in the Beta or Release Preview Channels..

Note:  the included steps assume your Windows installation is defaulted to the C: drive.  If you have installed Windows on a different drive letter, please replace c: with the proper drive letter for your installation.

To bypass this issue, please complete the following steps:

If your account is an Administrator account on the affected device:

  1. When you see the “We can’t sign into your account” dialogue, click the Close button.
  2. Open an elevated Command Prompt window.
  3. Enter and submit the following commands one line at a time:
    • cd c:\users%username%
    • takeown /F ntuser.dat*
    • icacls ntuser.dat* /reset
    • icacls ntuser.dat* /setowner "SYSTEM"
  4. Sign out.
  5. You will stop seeing the above dialog on your next sign-in.

If your account is NOT an Administrator account on the affected device:

  1. When you see the “We can’t sign into your account” dialogue, click the Close button.
  2. Open a standard Command Prompt window.
  3. Enter the following command:
    • Echo %username%
    • (Make note of the returned username, you will use it in step 6)
  4. Close the standard Command Prompt window.
  5. Open an elevated Command Prompt window.
  6. Enter and submit the following commands one line at a time:
    • cd c:\users\username
    • takeown /F ntuser.dat*
    • icacls ntuser.dat* /reset
    • icacls ntuser.dat* /setowner "SYSTEM"
  7. Sign out
  8. You will stop seeing the above dialog on your next sign-in

If these steps don’t resolve the issue for you on build 20226, you may also complete a rollback to your previous build to bypass.  You may then reinstall build 20226 and you will not encounter the issue a second time.

We’ve identified the cause of the bug and a fix is under development thanks to the swift feedback and insights from the Windows Insider community.

Thank you and keep the feedback coming!

  • The Windows Insider Team
Windows Insider program | Windows Insider preview | Security, privacy, and accounts

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-08T16:29:18+00:00

    .If these steps don’t resolve the issue for you on build 20226, you may also complete a rollback to your previous build to bypass.  You may then reinstall build 20226 and you will not encounter the issue a second time.

    I used the rollback method when I encountered this a few days ago (before seeing this post).  I then reinstalled 20226 and ran into this same issue again today

    This time, I used the CLI instructions, so we'll see if that works.  I just wanted to highlight that the rollback and reinstall of 20226 does NOT resolve the issue for good.

    I'm not sure what happened on your machine, but that shouldn't have happened.  The way the bug represented any re-install of 20226 would have prevented it from recurring.

    Glad you're fixed up though!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-08T16:27:37+00:00

    If you have a copy of the text still, please share it!  I didn't hit it on any of my machines!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. CrazyKats 19,760 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2020-10-07T19:57:12+00:00

    Known issues

    • If you were one of the Insiders repeatedly entering a temp profile with the previous flight, please refer to the following forum post to get your profile back into a good state. If you were not impacted, this issue will not impact you in today’s flight.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-07T18:36:20+00:00

    Faced this issue, after many attempts to fix it (icacls, takeown) none of them worked.

    Went back to previous build via "Reset my PC". I was able to login again and only had some "Access Denied" error on folders in %userprofile%\appdata\local but fixed them now too using icacls.

    Only onedrive is still not functioning. It doesn't recognise it's folder which is actually symlinked to an available network drive.

    Trying to update to build 20231.1000 now and hopefully being able to login after the installation.

    So we shall see.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-10-07T00:05:02+00:00

    I have been upgrading insider builds for several months up to build 20226. I have not experienced any Sign-in problem with build 20226. Yesterday I clean-installed build 20226 from the iso which I made from the WU files I downloaded when upgrading from build 20221 to 20226. After clean-installing I did not experience any Sign-in issue, either. 

    For a long time I have been using Windows Hello PIN. I also set up my clean-install with a Windows Hello PIN when still in installation phase before first sign-in. I wonder if those having sign-in issues are using passwords to sign in instead of Windows Hello PIN or some other methods.   

     

    @SuatCini,

    I updated 4 machines from 20221 to 20226 and from 19041.546  to 20226 and did not have this issue either.

    Since MS says they have identified the cause of the bug, if they gave a better description of what they identified, perhaps we could understand better why it failed only for some users and not for others.  :-(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments