Surface Pro 7 Randomly Shutting Down

Anonymous
2020-02-11T17:37:21+00:00

Hello,

I bought a Surface Pro 7 last week and it was having a problem where it was randomly shutting off (like the screen goes to black and then when I start it up, it boots up like normal). When I open the computer back up, anything I had opened is closed. I went and returned it for a new one, thinking that I had a buggy laptop. This new one is having the same problems too. I updated when I first got it and I did the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit, which said that everything is working fine. I also changed the sleep settings and that didn't help. I posted the reliability history that I have gotten.

Thank you.

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-05-27T03:33:31+00:00

    Have you tried the "Disable Self Refresh" solution?  It is the 4th post down from the top of this page(pg. 4).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-06-04T07:03:33+00:00

    I have the same problem! It randomly shuts down after very brief periods on inactivity e.g. after the time it takes to read a few paragraphs on the screen etc. Often when this happen is will not power back on. Some times If I hold down the power button for 10 seconds, then release, then push the power button once, it starts up with the Microsoft logo.... but sometimes it doesn't respond/turn on at all, and I have to wait 10mins and try it (reboot) again, then it will work. Happens despite the sleep and shutdown settings all set to 1hr or more. Happens despite battery being at least 60% or more. I've only had this S7 since the 5th May, and it was fine for the first 10 days... then from the 16th May it's being randomly shutting down frequently!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments