Surface Pro 7 Randomly Shutting Down

Anonymous
2020-02-11T17:37:21+00:00

Hello,

I bought a Surface Pro 7 last week and it was having a problem where it was randomly shutting off (like the screen goes to black and then when I start it up, it boots up like normal). When I open the computer back up, anything I had opened is closed. I went and returned it for a new one, thinking that I had a buggy laptop. This new one is having the same problems too. I updated when I first got it and I did the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit, which said that everything is working fine. I also changed the sleep settings and that didn't help. I posted the reliability history that I have gotten.

Thank you.

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-02-11T18:59:48+00:00

    Hi, BrendanRamirez!

    Thanks for reaching Microsoft Community. We are sorry to learn you have issues with your Surface Pro 7 shutting down randomly. Thanks for taking the time to let us know about this. 

    Also, we need to gather information regarding this.

    • What is your Windows version and OS Build? Press Windows and type winver to obtain this.
    • Are there accessories connected to your device (Type Cover, SD card, Surface Dock, charger, etc.)?
    • Troubleshooting steps aside from the Windows Update, Surface Diagnostic Toolkit, and change of sleep settings you mentioned.
    • Does this happen on any activity on the device? Please enumerate them.
    • Does it happen with and without Internet connection?
    • Does it happen when running on battery power? How about when plugged into its charger?
    • Have you tried to force shutdown the device and restart?
    1. Press and hold the power button until the screen turns off (about 10 seconds), then release the power button.
    2. Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on. You should see the Microsoft logo.

    If that doesn't work, here's how to make sure your Surface turns off completely:

    Press and hold down the power button until your Surface restarts and you see the Windows logo screen (about 20 seconds), then release the power button.

    For the meantime, please follow the steps below.

    1: Update drivers and firmware

                                   Check what is the current OS Build of your Windows version by going to Settings > System > About. 

                                   Go to Download driver and firmware for Surface, choose Surface Pro 7 then click Download on the next page.

                                   Choose the .msi file that matches your current OS Build and click Next.

                                   After downloading, run and install the .msi then Restart.

    2: Run System File Checker

                                  Please check this link for the steps in Using the System File Checker Tool in Windows 10

    3: Use Windows Defender to update definitions and scan.

    4: Aside from checking the Reliability History, please perform Memory Diagnostic. Errors with the computer's memory can cause unreliable system operation.

    From Search, type Memory Diagnostic and run the Windows Memory Diagnostic program.

    Please refer to this page to check Windows stops responding on Surface for more information.

     We hope this helps you out, we highly encourage you to inform our Community by clicking on Yes or marking my post as an answer. This will help other members who may have the same issue as you. Otherwise, don't hesitate to update us so we can further assist you. 

    Kind regards,                                                                                                                 

    Janette_Z

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-02-11T23:02:39+00:00

    Hi, Barb Bowman!

    Thanks for taking the time to share the threads. Those threads you've shared have been included in our reports as we've already raised this to our team.

    Regards,                                                                                                                 

    Janette_Z

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-02-13T09:59:41+00:00

    I have the same problem!!!!!!! The screenshot is the same as mine!! Did you solve this issue? I cant.. Tried a lot of stuff.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments