Surface Pro 7 Randomly Shutting Down

Anonymous
2020-02-11T17:37:21+00:00

Hello,

I bought a Surface Pro 7 last week and it was having a problem where it was randomly shutting off (like the screen goes to black and then when I start it up, it boots up like normal). When I open the computer back up, anything I had opened is closed. I went and returned it for a new one, thinking that I had a buggy laptop. This new one is having the same problems too. I updated when I first got it and I did the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit, which said that everything is working fine. I also changed the sleep settings and that didn't help. I posted the reliability history that I have gotten.

Thank you.

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-04-19T00:29:03+00:00

    I have the same problem, though for me it coincided with updating to the Windows 10 version 2004 two days ago. Given the prevalence of this problem, dating long before 2004, it seems like it's probably coincidence. For for now, I would recommend anyone with a Surface Pro 7 avoid the update. That "Option 4" solution hasn't worked for me. While I'm using the device, the screen will just go black and I have to restart.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-04-18T21:08:57+00:00

    I just got my Surface Pro 7 yesterday and I had a few random shutdowns already. I have taken a look at the reliability report myself. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-14T10:00:16+00:00

    Hi All,

    I came to this forum a month ago or so because I had a battery drain problem and I noticed that many people had the random shutdown problem. At the time, it didn't affect me.

    Just a week ago my windows told me that there was a Surface update and I immediately installed it. Since then, I've already had a couple of random shutdowns in various circumstances. Method #4 (disable panel refresh) didn't help.

    I guess it's time to request a refund... Or is there a software fix coming? Because I'm convinced it's a software issue - it doesn't happen when I use my device under linux.

    Best regards,

    Szymon

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-04-13T18:39:15+00:00

    That solved my problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments