Surface Pro 7 Randomly Shutting Down

Anonymous
2020-02-11T17:37:21+00:00

Hello,

I bought a Surface Pro 7 last week and it was having a problem where it was randomly shutting off (like the screen goes to black and then when I start it up, it boots up like normal). When I open the computer back up, anything I had opened is closed. I went and returned it for a new one, thinking that I had a buggy laptop. This new one is having the same problems too. I updated when I first got it and I did the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit, which said that everything is working fine. I also changed the sleep settings and that didn't help. I posted the reliability history that I have gotten.

Thank you.

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-04-21T00:53:49+00:00

    Disable the "Panel Self Refresh" option in the Intel Graphics Command Center:

    install the Intel Graphics Command Center from the Microsoft Store(it is free), Launch it, On the left hand side of the screen you will see the following options:

    Home

    Display

    Video

    System

    Support

    Preferences

    click on System

    Now at the top you will see drop downs for Hotkeys  Driver  Hardware  Power

    Click on Power

    About 1/3 the way down on the screen you will see

    On Battery   Plugged In

    one of these will be underlined in blue

    Immediately below this you will see Panel Self Refresh with an on/off switch to the right of it.

    click on the switch to turn it off (it should now say "off")

    Now go up and click on whichever one of On Battery or Plugged In that is not underlined in blue

    Immediately below this you will see Panel Self Refresh with an on/off switch to the right of it.

    click on the switch to turn it off (it should now say "off")

    You have now turned it off for both On Battery and Plugged in and you can exit the program.  I don't know if it is necessary but I then did a restart.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-04-19T19:11:58+00:00

    How do you do this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-19T18:27:14+00:00

    The first time I tried the Disable the "Panel Self Refresh" option in the Intel Graphics Command Center fix it didn't work.  Then I reread the instructions and noticed it said to do it for both the battery mode AND the plugged in mode.  I had only done it for the battery mode because that was when the problem occurred.  After doing it for the plugged in mode as well as the battery mode the problem went away and has not happened again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-04-19T01:06:11+00:00

    I have the same issue. $2000 machine just bought after xmas and today had to issue a second replacement because it wont load the OS anymore and keeps shutting down. MS needs to accept all returns and get this refunded to everyone no matyer when it was purchased!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments