Greetings Mark,
The best option available, is while the Surface is connected to a second monitor, to set it to "Second screen only".
You can do this by:
- Swipe from the right
- Touch Devices
- Touch Second Screen
- Touch Second Screen only.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I've read many question posted similar to this. The truth is none of them answer it. Let's change that or at least get Microsoft to do something about it. Every other computer in the world can do this...why not the surface pro!!! I see the exact behavior occur that I desire when I go to second screen only option...but it doesn't stay there. For obvious reasons....we need a new power option! Does anybody know how to effectively "yell" at Microsoft?
***Subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Greetings Mark,
The best option available, is while the Surface is connected to a second monitor, to set it to "Second screen only".
You can do this by:
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
A workaround I am testing for this is to create a black screensaver. My situation is similar to yours in that I need certain things to run during the night when I don't want the screen on. I use the docking station, so in the Control Panel Power Options, I've set it to when plugged in, never to go to sleep. Then I've set up a black (blank) screensaver to kick in after 10 minutes of inactivity.
Hope this helps!
A workaround I am testing for this is to create a black screensaver. My situation is similar to yours in that I need certain things to run during the night when I don't want the screen on. I use the docking station, so in the Control Panel Power Options, I've set it to when plugged in, never to go to sleep. Then I've set up a black (blank) screensaver to kick in after 10 minutes of inactivity.
Hope this helps!
That is what I do but not efficent whatsoever. Blank means absence of color but backlight on monitors stays on. Amazing with MS based in washington where conservation is a priority with people there ( which it should be), that MS has no proper solution. I have multiple surfaces in our office with multiple monitors and all have to stay on all the time- what a waste! You might as well leave you monitor on- blank is like throwing a towell over the screen. I hope this is fixed with W10.
Greetings JordanLance,
We understand how being able to turn off the screen without putting the Surface in sleep can be helpful, however the function is not available. We will pass along the feedback and the request to add it into a future version.
Not being able to turn the display off is really a major annoyance.
My Surface RT supports this functionality, but on the Surface Pro 3 my best solution is to go to the start screen, tap on the username and choose "Lock", which locks the device and after a couple of seconds the screen gets turned off. Still very cumbersome!
Also, is there a solution to the missing sleep mode, which is caused by Hyper-V? Is this a general issue with Hyper-V or a Surface specific problem?
It's been awhile since my post about Hyper-V which was causing no sleep option to appear in Power Options, but only Hibernate instead. I just checked my Hyper-V settings in the Programs Features window, and I noticed it is back on now. I didn't turn it back on manually, so some action must have triggered it to come back on at some point, I don't know when. In any case, I also just checked my Power Options and I see that the Sleep, not Hibernate, option, is available as usual, and my power options have not changed. So it appears that Microsoft might have silently fixed the issue with Hyper-V changing the Power Options. I have not had issues with Sleep and things have been working fine. Note that I regularly mount VHDs, and judging by the PowerShell cmdlet Mount-VHD, the mount command seems to be a Hyper-V option, so this might explain why it is turned back on on my system even though I had turned it off in the past to resolve my Sleep problem.