Greetings Mark,
The best option available, is while the Surface is connected to a second monitor, to set it to "Second screen only".
You can do this by:
- Swipe from the right
- Touch Devices
- Touch Second Screen
- Touch Second Screen only.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I've read many question posted similar to this. The truth is none of them answer it. Let's change that or at least get Microsoft to do something about it. Every other computer in the world can do this...why not the surface pro!!! I see the exact behavior occur that I desire when I go to second screen only option...but it doesn't stay there. For obvious reasons....we need a new power option! Does anybody know how to effectively "yell" at Microsoft?
***Subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Greetings Mark,
The best option available, is while the Surface is connected to a second monitor, to set it to "Second screen only".
You can do this by:
Hi Jordan, there is no off button for the monitor, but contrary to what Steven told you, there is a way to make the screen close instead of going to sleep after a few minutes of inactivity.
Simply go to your start screen and search for Sleep in parameters. The first thing it finds should be the sleep mode settings (I'm not sure how it's called. In french it's "Modifier les conditions de mise en veille de l'ordinateur". There you can select after how many minutes you want your monitor to fade, then go completely black, and then sleep. Personnaly I make it fade after 5 minutes, close after 10, and I don't let it sleep unless I manually ask it to go to sleep with the button on top of my Surface.
You can have different settings depending on if it's running on the battery or not.
If I am mirroring the screen and audio outputs to a secondary monitor, via the video/output port to HDMI cable, I do not want the Surface Pro monitor also to be on. This is also an issue of extending battery life, and applies to other usage conditions too.
Really, there should be a "Screen Off" function. A touch or a keypress should turn it back on. Who wants to make watching a show on a large monitor look like you are in Best Buy looking a rack of simultaneous screens?
To make this even easier to do, why not extend the "Screen" control in PC Settings to go so dim that it is effectively off? You would have to then still create way to turn it back on with a touch.
Three cheers and hats off to you, Steven B. Thanks for your solution!