How to turn off Surface Pro monitor only WITHOUT it sleeping?

Anonymous
2013-06-25T07:44:51+00:00

I've read many question posted similar to this.  The truth is none of them answer it. Let's change that or at least get Microsoft to do something about it. Every other computer in the world can do this...why not the surface pro!!! I see the exact behavior occur that I desire when I go to second screen only option...but it doesn't stay there.  For obvious reasons....we need a new power option! Does anybody know how to effectively "yell" at Microsoft?

***Subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-09-19T00:48:23+00:00

Greetings Mark,

The best option available, is while the Surface is connected to a second monitor, to set it to "Second screen only".

You can do this by:

  1. Swipe from the right
  2. Touch Devices
  3. Touch Second Screen
  4. Touch Second Screen only.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

52 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-03-15T07:13:57+00:00

    This needs to be fixed.. but what I do.. having my surface docked to 2 monitors is I have sleep off with a screen saver.  I manually turn the montors off.. and I don't display anything on the surface having duplicated the surface on one of the external monitors and extended it on the other.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-03-15T11:27:33+00:00

    Oh really?  What do you call this:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-03-15T15:48:44+00:00

    Ok.. I found this setting.  I don't think it was there till recently as I had called the MS help line about it and they told me it was not available.

    I will see if it will turn off my external monitors as the surface is being duplicated on them.  The surface is off.

    Judy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-03-15T16:51:32+00:00

    Also, when you checking around, look at the bottom of the Metro UI panel to see if you can find "advanced display settings" and you may be able to find the original control panel for the display settings to control the external monitors and on that panel, it had a check box to select to turn off  screen 1 which will be the computer's display.

    You will find several things in the "Settings" panel which are in the wrong category such as the "Screen Saver" which is located in "Appearance"!?!  That is actually a System/Device function and not "Appearance".

    You may also find some functions to control displays in the Power Management section as well.  That panel I displayed in the last reply was a screenshot of the Metro UI panel but the original Control Panel had a power management section that gave more options.

    It is annoying as all heck to see a miniature version of a big screen image sitting on your desk.  I know exactly where you are coming from.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments