Greetings Mark,
The best option available, is while the Surface is connected to a second monitor, to set it to "Second screen only".
You can do this by:
- Swipe from the right
- Touch Devices
- Touch Second Screen
- Touch Second Screen only.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I've read many question posted similar to this. The truth is none of them answer it. Let's change that or at least get Microsoft to do something about it. Every other computer in the world can do this...why not the surface pro!!! I see the exact behavior occur that I desire when I go to second screen only option...but it doesn't stay there. For obvious reasons....we need a new power option! Does anybody know how to effectively "yell" at Microsoft?
***Subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Greetings Mark,
The best option available, is while the Surface is connected to a second monitor, to set it to "Second screen only".
You can do this by:
Hi there JordanLance
Thanks for reaching out and I apologize for any frustration you are having. To make sure I understand what it is you are looking to do with Surface, I'd like to clarify a few things. First, are you wanting to turn the screen off, but continue running items in the background, like music? Second, are you having issues with projecting to a second screen, in that Surface only projects to a second screen for a short amount of time?
Thanks in advance for following up!
Kindest Regards
Aproximatley 90% of any desktop applications I run that I want to continue doing something like simulations will pause when the screen turns off because their is no "turn screen off only." It goes to sleep when the screen turns off. This is an issue. I want to be able to turn the screen off to save battery power not pause everything. I understand that certain apps can have built in support to continue while it sleeps but most other things dont. I mentioned the second screen because it has EXACTLLY what I want. The code is hidden inside that function. The surface tablet screen does turn off but as it the second screen function should, some other screen must be plugged in else the tablet screen turns back on.
Is there any way to augment what "sleep" is to the tablet so only the screen turns off?
Greetings JordanLance,
We understand how being able to turn off the screen without putting the Surface in sleep can be helpful, however the function is not available. We will pass along the feedback and the request to add it into a future version.
Please do. Thank you