Greetings Mark,
The best option available, is while the Surface is connected to a second monitor, to set it to "Second screen only".
You can do this by:
- Swipe from the right
- Touch Devices
- Touch Second Screen
- Touch Second Screen only.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I've read many question posted similar to this. The truth is none of them answer it. Let's change that or at least get Microsoft to do something about it. Every other computer in the world can do this...why not the surface pro!!! I see the exact behavior occur that I desire when I go to second screen only option...but it doesn't stay there. For obvious reasons....we need a new power option! Does anybody know how to effectively "yell" at Microsoft?
***Subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Greetings Mark,
The best option available, is while the Surface is connected to a second monitor, to set it to "Second screen only".
You can do this by:
Not in my experience. Read what I said in my post above. I can have "Put the computer to sleep" set on NEVER, and then have Display/Turn off display after set to 30 minutes. Both settings look fine - but if I lock my workstation and come back later they are BOTH set to 30 minutes.
I don't know why this is happening automatically but it is.
thanks,
russ
Julien is right, Surface Pro 3 is capable of turning the screen off after a period of inactivity without going to sleep. Navigate to:
Control Panel / Hardware and Sound / Power Options
Click on "Change Plan Settings," then click on "Change advance power settings."
A new window called "Power Options" will open. Expand the list item "Display" then expand the sub-item "Turn off display after".
At this point, it should be obvious which settings to adjust to turn the display off when you want and save battery power.
Thanks, Julien!
Hi,
I'm using Surface Pro 3 with a Toshiba dynadock so i can run 2 external monitors.
I can go into the Power Options on the surface pro and set "Put the computer to sleep" to NEVER when plugged in.
I can then go to the advanced settings and under "Display" i can set the "Turn off display after" setting for plugged in to 30 minutes. Doing this changes the "Put the computer to sleep" setting back to 30 minutes!
I know it is related to this issue of not being able to turn of the SP screen without putting SP to sleep. Just wanted to point this out.
relayman
Open Windows mobility centre,
Enable presentation mode,
Switch off the screen with the button.
With presentation mode on, the device doesn't actually sleep and will carry on working on the background.
I've used this on my rt devices, never tried it on a pro.