How to turn off Surface Pro monitor only WITHOUT it sleeping?

Anonymous
2013-06-25T07:44:51+00:00

I've read many question posted similar to this.  The truth is none of them answer it. Let's change that or at least get Microsoft to do something about it. Every other computer in the world can do this...why not the surface pro!!! I see the exact behavior occur that I desire when I go to second screen only option...but it doesn't stay there.  For obvious reasons....we need a new power option! Does anybody know how to effectively "yell" at Microsoft?

***Subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-09-19T00:48:23+00:00

Greetings Mark,

The best option available, is while the Surface is connected to a second monitor, to set it to "Second screen only".

You can do this by:

  1. Swipe from the right
  2. Touch Devices
  3. Touch Second Screen
  4. Touch Second Screen only.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

52 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-25T06:36:26+00:00

    that doesn't work even setting it to never sleep it just goes to sleep whenever the screen is set to go off

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-27T07:33:18+00:00

    "...Most Windows laptops have separate options for Sleep (after x minutes) and Turn Off Display (after y minutes). On the Surface Pro 3, those settings are inexplicably intertwined--change one, and you change the other..."

    It's clearly a case of quantum entanglement :-))

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-04-25T18:43:06+00:00

    Greetings JordanLance,

    We understand how being able to turn off the screen without putting the Surface in sleep can be helpful, however the function is not available. We will pass along the feedback and the request to add it into a future version.

    Not being able to turn the display off is really a major annoyance.

    My Surface RT supports this functionality, but on the Surface Pro 3 my best solution is to go to the start screen, tap on the username and choose "Lock", which locks the device and after a couple of seconds the screen gets turned off. Still very cumbersome!

    Also, is there a solution to the missing sleep mode, which is caused by Hyper-V? Is this a general issue with Hyper-V or a Surface specific problem?

    It's been awhile since my post about Hyper-V which was causing no sleep option to appear in Power Options, but only Hibernate instead. I just checked my Hyper-V settings in the Programs Features window, and I noticed it is back on now. I didn't turn it back on manually, so some action must have triggered it to come back on at some point, I don't know when. In any case, I also just checked my Power Options and I see that the Sleep, not Hibernate, option, is available as usual, and my power options have not changed. So it appears that Microsoft might have silently fixed the issue with Hyper-V changing the Power Options. I have not had issues with Sleep and things have been working fine. Note that I regularly mount VHDs, and judging by the PowerShell cmdlet Mount-VHD, the mount command seems to be a Hyper-V option, so this might explain why it is turned back on on my system even though I had turned it off in the past to resolve my Sleep problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments