Greetings Mark,
The best option available, is while the Surface is connected to a second monitor, to set it to "Second screen only".
You can do this by:
- Swipe from the right
- Touch Devices
- Touch Second Screen
- Touch Second Screen only.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I've read many question posted similar to this. The truth is none of them answer it. Let's change that or at least get Microsoft to do something about it. Every other computer in the world can do this...why not the surface pro!!! I see the exact behavior occur that I desire when I go to second screen only option...but it doesn't stay there. For obvious reasons....we need a new power option! Does anybody know how to effectively "yell" at Microsoft?
***Subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Greetings Mark,
The best option available, is while the Surface is connected to a second monitor, to set it to "Second screen only".
You can do this by:
And me!
Greetings JordanLance,
We understand how being able to turn off the screen without putting the Surface in sleep can be helpful, however the function is not available. We will pass along the feedback and the request to add it into a future version.
No, this function is available in Windows, you just disabled it on this device (Surface Pro 3) for no good reason. Bring it back.
I listen to YouTube videos before I go to sleep, I don't want the display to be on. The only thing I can do is turn the brightness to the minimum, then turn it up again in the morning.
For Flying Spaghetti Monster's sake, I can even do that on Windows Phone, playing a YouTube video in Internet Explorer with the screen turned off, but the Surface can't do it.
So this thing (SP3) can't even replace a phone, and you are bragging it can replace a laptop?
While you're at it, another thing you disabled is the battery life estimation. Bring that back too.
In fact, the whole power management is messed up by hiding various options and features for no good reason.
Bring everything back.
I know you want to make something that uses as little power as possible with the "Connected Standby" stuff, but taking away options from the user is not the way to do it.
If you want to hide those options under a "Advanced" section, with a warning not to touch them unless you know what you are doing, it's fine with me. It can even be a command line thing, or a registry key.
But don't tell us the option is not available. Fix the damn thing.
This is the single most annoying thing about the SP3, other than that, I love it.
This Is exactly what I think too.
Greetings JordanLance,
We understand how being able to turn off the screen without putting the Surface in sleep can be helpful, however the function is not available. We will pass along the feedback and the request to add it into a future version.
No, this function is available in Windows, you just disabled it on this device (Surface Pro 3) for no good reason. Bring it back.
I listen to YouTube videos before I go to sleep, I don't want the display to be on. The only thing I can do is turn the brightness to the minimum, then turn it up again in the morning.
For Flying Spaghetti Monster's sake, I can even do that on Windows Phone, playing a YouTube video in Internet Explorer with the screen turned off, but the Surface can't do it.
So this thing (SP3) can't even replace a phone, and you are bragging it can replace a laptop?
While you're at it, another thing you disabled is the battery life estimation. Bring that back too.
In fact, the whole power management is messed up by hiding various options and features for no good reason.
Bring everything back.
I know you want to make something that uses as little power as possible with the "Connected Standby" stuff, but taking away options from the user is not the way to do it.
If you want to hide those options under a "Advanced" section, with a warning not to touch them unless you know what you are doing, it's fine with me. It can even be a command line thing, or a registry key.
But don't tell us the option is not available. Fix the damn thing.
This is the single most annoying thing about the SP3, other than that, I love it.
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more