Greetings Mark,
The best option available, is while the Surface is connected to a second monitor, to set it to "Second screen only".
You can do this by:
- Swipe from the right
- Touch Devices
- Touch Second Screen
- Touch Second Screen only.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I've read many question posted similar to this. The truth is none of them answer it. Let's change that or at least get Microsoft to do something about it. Every other computer in the world can do this...why not the surface pro!!! I see the exact behavior occur that I desire when I go to second screen only option...but it doesn't stay there. For obvious reasons....we need a new power option! Does anybody know how to effectively "yell" at Microsoft?
***Subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Greetings Mark,
The best option available, is while the Surface is connected to a second monitor, to set it to "Second screen only".
You can do this by:
Well, the screen saver "blank" was actually the only way to do it in the past. Microsoft removed the settings capability of the screen savers and cannot activate the "hot corner" feature. That was the only way available other than the power settings to do it.
Sleep mode has to be shut off no matter what because when it activates, it closes all programs. Now, the "Screen" setting located in "Settings" and the sub-section "Device" has the screen control panel right there. I posted a screenshot of it on a previous post above. That one does turn off the screen just like the screensaver did in the past but no hot corner control to activate it manually.
That is the only option you have in Windows 10.
Get used to that Metro UI "Settings" app because in the latest Insiders Build of Windows 10 "Creators Update" (which everybody will get in April) gets rid of the original Control Panel altogether. The more advanced Windows gets, the less features you will see - looks like that might be the case in the near future.
Also, Windows Update and also the "Store" (which updates Metro UI apps) can cause some of your problems as well. An app cannot be running if it is being updated. So, you may find a loss of control and have to reboot anyhow.
For some of the settings you are looking for, try the "Appearance" section. That is where I found the screen saver.
If I remember correctly when I first got the surface if I set the monitors to turn off, I could not get them to turn back on. I'd have to reboot the system even though sleep was set to never.
So I manually turned off the external monitors.
I just tried your setting and it did turn off the external monitors and I did get them to come back on but, I'll have to keep testing because if i left it overnight it would have to be rebooted in the morning.
Perhaps they finally fixed it in an update.
The metro UI was/is missing many settings that you can see in the control panel. But, you can't search on screen and find this setting. You have to search on power options. Screen search only gives you screen saver.
Judy
Also, when you checking around, look at the bottom of the Metro UI panel to see if you can find "advanced display settings" and you may be able to find the original control panel for the display settings to control the external monitors and on that panel, it had a check box to select to turn off screen 1 which will be the computer's display.
You will find several things in the "Settings" panel which are in the wrong category such as the "Screen Saver" which is located in "Appearance"!?! That is actually a System/Device function and not "Appearance".
You may also find some functions to control displays in the Power Management section as well. That panel I displayed in the last reply was a screenshot of the Metro UI panel but the original Control Panel had a power management section that gave more options.
It is annoying as all heck to see a miniature version of a big screen image sitting on your desk. I know exactly where you are coming from.