How to turn off Surface Pro monitor only WITHOUT it sleeping?

Anonymous
2013-06-25T07:44:51+00:00

I've read many question posted similar to this.  The truth is none of them answer it. Let's change that or at least get Microsoft to do something about it. Every other computer in the world can do this...why not the surface pro!!! I see the exact behavior occur that I desire when I go to second screen only option...but it doesn't stay there.  For obvious reasons....we need a new power option! Does anybody know how to effectively "yell" at Microsoft?

***Subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-09-19T00:48:23+00:00

Greetings Mark,

The best option available, is while the Surface is connected to a second monitor, to set it to "Second screen only".

You can do this by:

  1. Swipe from the right
  2. Touch Devices
  3. Touch Second Screen
  4. Touch Second Screen only.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

52 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-03-15T02:09:53+00:00

    This is an absolute joke! How is this not possible and why has it been removed? Do you guys not use your own devices? Surely someone at MS would have raised and got this bug fixed if they did. Really cannot understand how these decisions get made.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-12-11T18:22:06+00:00

    Greetings JordanLance,

    We understand how being able to turn off the screen without putting the Surface in sleep can be helpful, however the function is not available. We will pass along the feedback and the request to add it into a future version.

    Yes Please. I have a Surface 3 - and I would VERY MUCH like to be able to turn off the screen while streaming music - and it looks like surface 3 dosn't have the 'external screen' option...

    This would be excellent for PRIVACY Issues too as I work with Clients who I would like the quick option of turning off the screen if there is confidential info I do not want them to view without putting the tablet to sleeps and stopping background apps etc.

    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE beg the programmers for an update to make it a simple possibility for a "Screen Off" option.

    Thank you!

    Carl Bromley

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-10-20T00:14:30+00:00

    With SP4, you can now use the power button to "Turn off the display"

    Solution: 

    Settings>Power>Advanced Power Options>Balanced 'Change Plan Settings'>Change advanced Power Settings>Power buttons and lid>Power Button Action>On Battery> Turn off the display.

    if this option is not available, you might need to do something with regedit to enable all power options. i did that a while ago, so i'm unsure if this option is only available after enabling all power options from regedit. 

    good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-25T06:44:02+00:00

    Hi there JordanLance

    Thanks for reaching out and I apologize for any frustration you are having.  To make sure I understand what it is you are looking to do with Surface, I'd like to clarify a few things.  First, are you wanting to turn the screen off, but continue running items in the background, like music?  Second, are you having issues with projecting to a second screen, in that Surface only projects to a second screen for a short amount of time?

    Thanks in advance for following up!

    Kindest Regards

    We need auto display off time (or dim enough to be not a light in a dark room) that doesn't also put it to sleep until pressing sleep button or the sleep time is reached. forget about second monitor, need this for primary, for instance, to play music without also acting as a nightlight.

    SP4 is still having this issue!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments