Greetings Mark,
The best option available, is while the Surface is connected to a second monitor, to set it to "Second screen only".
You can do this by:
- Swipe from the right
- Touch Devices
- Touch Second Screen
- Touch Second Screen only.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I've read many question posted similar to this. The truth is none of them answer it. Let's change that or at least get Microsoft to do something about it. Every other computer in the world can do this...why not the surface pro!!! I see the exact behavior occur that I desire when I go to second screen only option...but it doesn't stay there. For obvious reasons....we need a new power option! Does anybody know how to effectively "yell" at Microsoft?
***Subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Greetings Mark,
The best option available, is while the Surface is connected to a second monitor, to set it to "Second screen only".
You can do this by:
Aproximatley 90% of any desktop applications I run that I want to continue doing something like simulations will pause when the screen turns off because their is no "turn screen off only." It goes to sleep when the screen turns off. This is an issue. I want to be able to turn the screen off to save battery power not pause everything. I understand that certain apps can have built in support to continue while it sleeps but most other things dont. I mentioned the second screen because it has EXACTLLY what I want. The code is hidden inside that function. The surface tablet screen does turn off but as it the second screen function should, some other screen must be plugged in else the tablet screen turns back on.
Is there any way to augment what "sleep" is to the tablet so only the screen turns off?
If I am mirroring the screen and audio outputs to a secondary monitor, via the video/output port to HDMI cable, I do not want the Surface Pro monitor also to be on. This is also an issue of extending battery life, and applies to other usage conditions too.
Really, there should be a "Screen Off" function. A touch or a keypress should turn it back on. Who wants to make watching a show on a large monitor look like you are in Best Buy looking a rack of simultaneous screens?
Greetings JordanLance,
We understand how being able to turn off the screen without putting the Surface in sleep can be helpful, however the function is not available. We will pass along the feedback and the request to add it into a future version.
Greetings Mark,
The best option available, is while the Surface is connected to a second monitor, to set it to "Second screen only".
You can do this by:
- Swipe from the right
- Touch Devices
- Touch Second Screen
- Touch Second Screen only.
Sorry to re-open this, but I don't believe this answers OP's question.
This only works if you have a second monitor connected. What if you are out and about and want to just turn the inbuilt screen off without putting the Surface to sleep?
For example, you could set the "display off" power setting to a short time for battery & mains power profiles. The tablet is still running but the screen is off. This works but is no good if you then accidentally touch the screen, because the tablet will immediately wake the screen and respond.
I would like a more Android/iPad-esque option where I can disable the display AND touchscreen without sending the tablet into full sleep, thus allowing some background apps to keep running (like streaming music/downloading files) and allowing me to easily move the tablet around without having to avoid touching the display or the Windows icon at the bottom.