Surface Pro 4 won't boot to USB

Anonymous
2016-07-10T08:39:13+00:00

I have tried every instruction method I have found online to get the surface to boot from USB.

The only requirement I have seen is the USB is formatted fat32 with I have verified.  

It was made with the recovery disk creator. 

Juat at can't get it to boot to it.

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-07-11T00:30:30+00:00

If you are trying to boot to the recovery usb flash drive using the 2 button power + volume down power up that may be your problem.  That procedure does not work on my sp4 i7 and may not work on any sp4s.

 Method to boot to Recovery usb

Make sure your sp4 is shutdown, insert your usb flash drive, then hold down the Volume UP button and tap the power button momentarily, as soon as the SURFACE logo appears release the Volume UP button.  This will bring you to the UEFI configuration screens.  Go to the Boot configuration screen and make sure the "Enable boot from usb devices" is checked and that USB Storage is selected(the box will be blackened if it is selected).  To boot the usb swipe your finger from the right to left on the "USB Storage" line.  Answer the following message to boot from that device and your sp4 should boot to recovery drive.  Your usb stick should be formatted as fat32 and the recovery image should be unzipped in  its entirety to the usb stick.  Rufus is not necessary if you formatted your flash drive on the sp4.

Note that I have used both 32gb and 16gb flash drives successfully. You do not have to disable Secure Boot.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-08-03T21:45:22+00:00

    me too! unitl now no solution

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-08-03T21:37:06+00:00

    I live in Rome (Italy) and the closest physical retail Microsoft Store for assistance is in Milan (700 km). I've spent more than 1000€ to cross my country for MS? ..may be you are joking!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-08-03T21:30:17+00:00

    Kindly MS Italy has sent me a Microsoft Original USB stick with Surface 4 Pro Windows 10 Installation ad also this stick doesn't boot too !!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-08-03T21:20:00+00:00

    I have exactly the same problem. I've bought a Surface Pro 4 on 11 July  2017 with Amazon Prime Day and tomorrow I will receive the 3rd Surface Pro 4 (i5 6300 8 GB RAM 256 SSD) in sostitution. All the others had the problem discussed in this topic. I've spent many hour in order to solve (I'm an IT technician) but till now there is no solution. At this point I have to suppose that MS doesn't test all the functions of their BIOS or for any other unknown reason that there is an entire stock of Surface Pro 4 with this serious problem. Sorry for my poor english. I'm from Italy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments