Surface Pro 4 won't boot to USB

Anonymous
2016-07-10T08:39:13+00:00

I have tried every instruction method I have found online to get the surface to boot from USB.

The only requirement I have seen is the USB is formatted fat32 with I have verified.  

It was made with the recovery disk creator. 

Juat at can't get it to boot to it.

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-07-11T00:30:30+00:00

If you are trying to boot to the recovery usb flash drive using the 2 button power + volume down power up that may be your problem.  That procedure does not work on my sp4 i7 and may not work on any sp4s.

 Method to boot to Recovery usb

Make sure your sp4 is shutdown, insert your usb flash drive, then hold down the Volume UP button and tap the power button momentarily, as soon as the SURFACE logo appears release the Volume UP button.  This will bring you to the UEFI configuration screens.  Go to the Boot configuration screen and make sure the "Enable boot from usb devices" is checked and that USB Storage is selected(the box will be blackened if it is selected).  To boot the usb swipe your finger from the right to left on the "USB Storage" line.  Answer the following message to boot from that device and your sp4 should boot to recovery drive.  Your usb stick should be formatted as fat32 and the recovery image should be unzipped in  its entirety to the usb stick.  Rufus is not necessary if you formatted your flash drive on the sp4.

Note that I have used both 32gb and 16gb flash drives successfully. You do not have to disable Secure Boot.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-09-19T02:17:20+00:00

    Thank You for your suggestions but I've solved changing the usb pen.

    Some not branded pen or the old ones have a boot timing response too long for the fast new UEFI bios of these Surface machines.

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-08-23T15:27:04+00:00

    SOLVED!!

    I changed the USB stick. I bought from Amazon a Lexar JumpDrive USB 3.0 32 GB and now the S75. Now bios recognizes it at startup and I can boot from USB.

    Thank you all

    Luca

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-08-11T05:12:03+00:00

    Thank you for your interestt.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-08-09T08:04:17+00:00

    I've disabled secure boot and loaded with usb. But all I can see it's blue screen with touch keyboard. And after few seconds the surface turns off. Does anybody boot surface from usb successfully ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments