Blue screen error after downloading software update. File:BCD Error code:0xc0000098

Anonymous
2019-02-26T22:12:31+00:00

Erro code 0xc0000098 blue screen on surface go after download of software update

Surface | Surface Go | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-06-21T00:35:50+00:00

Well, I was able to fix my surface although will now have to re-install a bunch of things.

A few tips for those wanting to self fix.  Download the Surface image and put onto a USB.  You will need a USB-C to USB-A adapter if you have a Surface Go.

If stuck in the Blue screen of death loop, go to the Surface UEFI menu by pressing the Windows Key.  In boot order, order the USB higher up than the Windows Boot.

Boot from Surface, then follow the instructions provided by microscoft.

i.e. Select Keyboard

From there -> Troubleshoot, recover from device, skip key entry, recover vs. clean wipe depending on your uses

Now, I think this problem is related to Windows Update and surfaces since it's happened to a bunch of people.  Hope microsoft can look into this.  A bit nervous to install windows updates again

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-10-27T00:15:00+00:00

    WHAT A PIECE OF ****

    Had my microsoft surface go for ONE day, and because I am used to new laptops sometimes needing to run updates, I paid no mind to the fact that it needed to update.

    I wish I hadn't let it run, because now it is stuck on the Blue Screen of Death and the fact that the only way this can be remedied is by a convoluted solution involving formatted USB sticks of 16gb or more, a USB adapter, downloading a massive file online, uploading, downloading, pressing this button and then that button, troubleshooting and hacking your own laptop to make it work?!

    TERRIBLE DESIGN.

    OVERPRICED PIECE OF GARBAGE.

    TAKING MINE BACK TO THE STORE TOMORROW AND BUYING AN IPAD.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-11-08T01:10:35+00:00

    I just got mine today. Im not tech savvy. Im extremely annoyed. Exchanged mine for a new one. Refuse to update until Microsoft fixes this issue. If i cant figure it out by next week im giving up on this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-11-08T11:46:33+00:00

    Microsoft can't fix this error. If you have a Surface in this condition and it is brand new (within 30 days of purchase) you can return for a full refund (and repurchase).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-06T20:07:08+00:00

    I had to unplug my detachable keyboard for this to work for some reason. After 5 tries I found a comment that said that and it worked!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments