Blue screen error after downloading software update. File:BCD Error code:0xc0000098

Anonymous
2019-02-26T22:12:31+00:00

Erro code 0xc0000098 blue screen on surface go after download of software update

Surface | Surface Go | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-06-21T00:35:50+00:00

Well, I was able to fix my surface although will now have to re-install a bunch of things.

A few tips for those wanting to self fix.  Download the Surface image and put onto a USB.  You will need a USB-C to USB-A adapter if you have a Surface Go.

If stuck in the Blue screen of death loop, go to the Surface UEFI menu by pressing the Windows Key.  In boot order, order the USB higher up than the Windows Boot.

Boot from Surface, then follow the instructions provided by microscoft.

i.e. Select Keyboard

From there -> Troubleshoot, recover from device, skip key entry, recover vs. clean wipe depending on your uses

Now, I think this problem is related to Windows Update and surfaces since it's happened to a bunch of people.  Hope microsoft can look into this.  A bit nervous to install windows updates again

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-08-10T19:51:00+00:00

    I mean off my Surface Go, not off the USB stick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-08-11T10:22:08+00:00

    If you have the BCD error, you MAY be able to repair and save your files. If you

    need to use the recovery image to completely reimage your Surface, you will lose

    your files. If you are in the US (there are also 5 stores in Canada and 1 each

    in London, UK

    and Sydney, AU) you should go to the closest physical retail Microsoft Store

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/locations/find-a-store - they can assist

    with this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-08-12T03:55:03+00:00

    I have the same error, after following to get update on my surface go, when it shutdown it doesn't enter the windows and have this blue screen.

    My location is in Indonesia, where there is no support center to visit.

    If I choose to using USB stick to recovery, what should I do? Is it save option to recover my data?

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-08-12T08:57:07+00:00

    hi  sorry to hear   I try solve this but not success. I don't know what happen ..

    Redhair

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments