Blue screen error after downloading software update. File:BCD Error code:0xc0000098

Anonymous
2019-02-26T22:12:31+00:00

Erro code 0xc0000098 blue screen on surface go after download of software update

Surface | Surface Go | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-06-21T00:35:50+00:00

Well, I was able to fix my surface although will now have to re-install a bunch of things.

A few tips for those wanting to self fix.  Download the Surface image and put onto a USB.  You will need a USB-C to USB-A adapter if you have a Surface Go.

If stuck in the Blue screen of death loop, go to the Surface UEFI menu by pressing the Windows Key.  In boot order, order the USB higher up than the Windows Boot.

Boot from Surface, then follow the instructions provided by microscoft.

i.e. Select Keyboard

From there -> Troubleshoot, recover from device, skip key entry, recover vs. clean wipe depending on your uses

Now, I think this problem is related to Windows Update and surfaces since it's happened to a bunch of people.  Hope microsoft can look into this.  A bit nervous to install windows updates again

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-07-30T18:44:38+00:00

    You do need secure boot to be on. Try a different, previously unused USB stick
    that is 16GB, formatted FULL FAT32 in another Windows computer. Suggest you
    contact support
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051701/global-customer-service-phone-numbers
    and have them walk you through fixing the 0098 BCD error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-07-30T17:28:46+00:00

    I have the same error but I cannot boot from USB. I'm running Windows 10 Pro. I ran the MediaCreationTool1903.exe to create the USB and tested it on a working laptop, sure enough, took me to the recovery menu. When I do the same on the Surface Go it never boots from the USB, just shows the same blue screen error. I have tried all the UEFI options, disabled Secure Boot, changed the boot device order so USB is first, enabled alternate boot sequence, enable boot from usb devices. Nothing works. Surely there should be a fail safe so boot from USB will always work! This looks like a common issue, any other suggestions most welcome.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-07-29T01:41:08+00:00

    **** is more like it! Complete BS! 5 months old, now all this ****! Bad form Microsoft! I'm going back to IPad!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-06-19T06:04:23+00:00

    Hi there,

    I have the same problem with the Surface Go after trying to install the new software update today.  I will try to solution once I get a USB-C to USB adaptor to see if I can recover my surface go from my laptop.

    Eric

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments