Blue screen error after downloading software update. File:BCD Error code:0xc0000098

Anonymous
2019-02-26T22:12:31+00:00

Erro code 0xc0000098 blue screen on surface go after download of software update

Surface | Surface Go | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-06-21T00:35:50+00:00

Well, I was able to fix my surface although will now have to re-install a bunch of things.

A few tips for those wanting to self fix.  Download the Surface image and put onto a USB.  You will need a USB-C to USB-A adapter if you have a Surface Go.

If stuck in the Blue screen of death loop, go to the Surface UEFI menu by pressing the Windows Key.  In boot order, order the USB higher up than the Windows Boot.

Boot from Surface, then follow the instructions provided by microscoft.

i.e. Select Keyboard

From there -> Troubleshoot, recover from device, skip key entry, recover vs. clean wipe depending on your uses

Now, I think this problem is related to Windows Update and surfaces since it's happened to a bunch of people.  Hope microsoft can look into this.  A bit nervous to install windows updates again

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-10-27T00:15:00+00:00

    WHAT A PIECE OF ****

    Had my microsoft surface go for ONE day, and because I am used to new laptops sometimes needing to run updates, I paid no mind to the fact that it needed to update.

    I wish I hadn't let it run, because now it is stuck on the Blue Screen of Death and the fact that the only way this can be remedied is by a convoluted solution involving formatted USB sticks of 16gb or more, a USB adapter, downloading a massive file online, uploading, downloading, pressing this button and then that button, troubleshooting and hacking your own laptop to make it work?!

    TERRIBLE DESIGN.

    OVERPRICED PIECE OF GARBAGE.

    TAKING MINE BACK TO THE STORE TOMORROW AND BUYING AN IPAD.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-08-14T11:35:24+00:00

    You really should contact support

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051701/global-customer-service-phone-numbers.

    They should be able to walk you through the recovery process.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-08-13T22:24:26+00:00

    I've tried everything I have read on this and other posts. It all fails. Even the USB boot disk fails. A the point where it is supposed to say 'recover from a drive' i have no such option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-08-13T15:18:13+00:00

    Hi, 

    I have solve my problem with recovery usb option.

    But there is still a chance to save your data/files before it all reset.

    What I'm doing is, after you enter Troubleshoot, choose command prompt, input your recovery keys (they will show it after you login to recovery key link). And after command prompt shows you can use your recovery USB stick (which have enough space) for your backup files. I used xcopy command, for example :

    C:/sourcefolder D:/newfolder \E (for more instruction write xcopy /?)

    (eg: D is USB stick directory)

    That's all my experience tonight :)

    good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments