Blue screen error after downloading software update. File:BCD Error code:0xc0000098

Anonymous
2019-02-26T22:12:31+00:00

Erro code 0xc0000098 blue screen on surface go after download of software update

Surface | Surface Go | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-06-21T00:35:50+00:00

Well, I was able to fix my surface although will now have to re-install a bunch of things.

A few tips for those wanting to self fix.  Download the Surface image and put onto a USB.  You will need a USB-C to USB-A adapter if you have a Surface Go.

If stuck in the Blue screen of death loop, go to the Surface UEFI menu by pressing the Windows Key.  In boot order, order the USB higher up than the Windows Boot.

Boot from Surface, then follow the instructions provided by microscoft.

i.e. Select Keyboard

From there -> Troubleshoot, recover from device, skip key entry, recover vs. clean wipe depending on your uses

Now, I think this problem is related to Windows Update and surfaces since it's happened to a bunch of people.  Hope microsoft can look into this.  A bit nervous to install windows updates again

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-08-08T14:27:31+00:00

    I have the same problem with my device after updating, blue screen and error message. I don't have access to another windows device / or any computer. I've tried restarting multiple times and tye message is still there... What can I do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-08-08T11:08:27+00:00

    Have you tried calling support and have them walk you through fixing this or
    have you tried the other solution in this thread that helped another person?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-08-08T05:29:24+00:00

    I am facing the recovery error in my surface. What can I do??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-08-01T09:38:54+00:00

    That is a (good) fix for a different error. This thread is about the 0098 error
    and the read only fix you found is for a 0025 error. This is not the issue the
    others in this thread have.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments