I used to have issues with random disconnects at home on 5ghz wifi channels with computers using Intel AX wifi chip (so newer Surface + others), which includes Intel AX 200, 201, and 9xxx chipsets. I had a Netgear AC router at home, upgraded firmware, reset to defaults, new driver , etc, nothing fixed it. Worked fine at the office (Aruba AC wifi access points). Turned off MIMO on the Netgear router in it's advanced settings and that solved it, zero issues since. This was last year. I found posts on Intel and Netgear forums saying similar things.
Surface Book 3 Wifi Disconnecting Randomly
I've had my SB3 since the day after they became available. I have had random wifi disconnects throughout the day, usually only 1 or 2 but they are happening daily.
I immediately check my iPad or phone that is nearby and connected to the same wifi network and have no issues accessing the internet from those devices during that time. The only way for me to re-establish my wifi connection on my SB3 is to turn off the wifi and turn it back on. Everything reconnects fine each time.
Yesterday, it did this as I was preparing to give a presentation to over 1,000 people -- virtually! Are others experiencing this? Is this is a known issue already? I just swapped over from a MacBook Pro after 10+ years in that environment and didn't have issues like this so I hope this is something easily rectified and soon or I'll be swapping back.
Thank you!
Surface | Surface Book | Network
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2021-06-24T18:35:25+00:00 -
Anonymous
2021-06-24T17:41:54+00:00 Download Windows® 10 Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters I updated my driver manually and the problem nearly vanished. I have issues with connecting to 2g and the computer swapping to 5g all thanks to both 2g and 5g being checked off to automatically connect. Seems like the wifi module is being told to swap between the two whenever it pleases. Simply put, uncheck either the 2g or 5g network and make the computer connect to only one at a time (don't hit forget this network.)
- Download the driver from intel and restart your computer
- Uncheck one of your wifi networks if you have 2g and 5g set to automatically connect
- If you get dropped after the intel link update click your connection bar on the taskbar and cycle the wifi square on and off.
- Download the latest firmware from windows update (there's two firmware and an optional system update if you want) as of 6/24/21.
- If you're still having an issue, reset your wifi network and cycle your computer. I think it's a dedicated IP issue where the computer's chip or software doesn't recognize IP changes so it panics.
So far for me (own the i7/32/512 version) this has somewhat solved my issue with only 2 disconnects happening. The only difference now is it auto resolves the issue thanks to me unchecking one of two wifi bands 2g or 5g. It simply disconnects and I have to reconnect and it works without the frustration of it flipping out and breaking. It's been 24 days without an issue for me.
-
Anonymous
2021-06-24T17:24:45+00:00 I bought a brand new Surface Book 3 a week ago and just encountered this same absurd issue. Yesterday I got disconnected at least 3 times during an interview on a zoom call, and today same thing happened on google meet + google slides during a presentation for the University.
I did not event think of the possibility to have this kind of problems on a device like the SB3, that costs 2.000 €.
After reading the replies to this thread I realized that this could be an hardware problem but I do not get why Microsoft did not fixed it yet and someone who buys a brand new one in 2021 gets the same issue.
Is asking Microsoft for a replacement (and hope for a new one that in some way does not have this bug) the only way to solve this issue?
-
Anonymous
2021-06-17T21:05:26+00:00 I have the exact same issue for months now. It's very frustrating getting kicked out of teams calls all the time. Having calls with clients, I'm always prepared with active hotspots on my phone to be able to switch quickly. I don't have this issue with any other device. Routers event log shows that SB3 has disconnected as well. Happens in the office as well in Homeoffice.
-
Anonymous
2021-06-12T04:18:10+00:00 I have this exact same issue with a singular solution. Restarting my network works and allows the SB3 to reconnect and stays connected for about 5 or so days before doing it again. I've updated drivers and have no luck with solving this issue.
The solution I'm seeing is folks returning the SB3 to Microsoft which isn't a solution to the problem, it's a solution to the inconvenience this causes people. And not one that I'm able to do, unfortunately.
Has anyone found a viable solution to this issue yet or is this still an ongoing problem?
Also unsure if this helps but the driver is way out of date on the SB3 from what's available on intel's website for the Wifi 6 AX201. You should have 22.50.1.1 anything else is out of date.
Download Windows® 10 Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters <-- Driver as of 6.1.21