Same issue here with my wife's Surface laptop. Has happened intermittently in the past, but was previously able to fix it by removing/reinstalling the driver. However this morning nothing appears to fix it.
Surface Laptop 1 keyboard and touchpad stopped working
About a week ago following a Windows update my keyboard and touchpad on the first gen Surface Laptop stopped working. Initially the 'surface hid mini driver' appeared to have failed and displayed "status_device_power_failure"
When I rolled back the update and uninstalled the 'surface hid mini driver' and restarted the keyboard started working again. However when new updates installed the same issue started again. Now when I rollback the updates and fix the 'surface hid mini driver' the keyboard still doesn't work.
At this point I have reinstalled all the updates, and the 'surface hid mini driver' seems to be stable and working properly but the keyboard still doesn't work.
Any advice?
Surface | Surface Laptop | Install and update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2019-09-21T16:54:00+00:00 -
Anonymous
2019-09-21T16:15:28+00:00 Same issue. Today morning everything was working. Now keyboard and trackpad has stopped working.
-
Anonymous
2019-07-30T23:53:56+00:00 Hi,
Have you found the solution for this issue? I have the same problem with my Surface laptop 2 today.
Thanks,
-
Anonymous
2019-07-25T16:00:08+00:00 I'm sorry to hear that about your Laptop. After working with Microsoft Support over the phone during the first few weeks that my computer stopped working, I was told that there was a hardware issue and the only option was to replace my computer. My warranty expired a few days before my touchpad, so I think I'm going to buy a refurbished Surface Laptop 1 (for half the price) of the original.
-
Anonymous
2019-07-22T14:59:23+00:00 I'm having this same problem with Surface Laptop 2. Keyboard and touchpad do not work. Surface HID Mini Driver error.
Everything worked yesterday. Today no keyboard or touchpad. External mouse works.
Did you find a solution?