Worked perfectly. I did the other things you mentioned before trying #5! :)
Surface Laptop 1 keyboard and touchpad stopped working
About a week ago following a Windows update my keyboard and touchpad on the first gen Surface Laptop stopped working. Initially the 'surface hid mini driver' appeared to have failed and displayed "status_device_power_failure"
When I rolled back the update and uninstalled the 'surface hid mini driver' and restarted the keyboard started working again. However when new updates installed the same issue started again. Now when I rollback the updates and fix the 'surface hid mini driver' the keyboard still doesn't work.
At this point I have reinstalled all the updates, and the 'surface hid mini driver' seems to be stable and working properly but the keyboard still doesn't work.
Any advice?
Surface | Surface Laptop | Install and update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2020-01-03T20:59:27+00:00 -
Anonymous
2019-11-10T15:37:02+00:00 After hours of trying different things, installing latest firmware, updates, restarting, the keyboard finally came back after doing a "Shutdown" rather than "Restart". Could be a combination of things, I suppose. Surface ME and Surface System Aggregator still show "This device cannot start. (Code 10)", but I need to move on. This has been ridiculous.
-
Anonymous
2019-06-29T00:20:05+00:00 Same problem here - 1st gen Surface Laptop, and the HID mini won't start (code 10 & device_power_failure)
This is actually the 2nd time this has happened in the last couple months. I'd come back from work, and the keyboard would just stop working (I leave the laptop on).
-
Anonymous
2019-06-26T03:23:34+00:00 Also, my computer stopped working right around that time (end of March) as well. Coincidence???
-
Anonymous
2019-06-26T03:22:18+00:00 Hey ScottSidel,
I'm having the exact same problem with my first gen Surface Laptop too :/ I worked with Microsoft Customer Service for a few weeks, following the steps listed above, until they determined that I was having a hardware issue (though an issue that kills both your touchpad and keyboard and is effecting more than one person seems to be something they ought to investigate).
Did your computer end up working? And if not, could I get some advice from you? I'm a college student (aka I'm not drowning in money), so I need to buy a computer before the fall semester starts. Do you think I should go for a refurbished first gen Surface Laptop, or is it time to hit up a different company/brand?
Many thanks for your time.