Surface Laptop 1 keyboard and touchpad stopped working

Anonymous
2019-03-27T13:15:20+00:00

About a week ago following a Windows update my keyboard and touchpad on the first gen Surface Laptop stopped working. Initially the 'surface hid mini driver' appeared to have failed and displayed "status_device_power_failure"

When I rolled back the update and uninstalled the 'surface hid mini driver' and restarted the keyboard started working again. However when new updates installed the same issue started again. Now when I rollback the updates and fix the 'surface hid mini driver' the keyboard still doesn't work.

At this point I have reinstalled all the updates, and the 'surface hid mini driver' seems to be stable and working properly but the keyboard still doesn't work.

Any advice?

Surface | Surface Laptop | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-12-09T02:01:01+00:00

    I was able to fix the issue on my laptop (Surface Laptop Gen1). Here are the steps I took:

    1. Windows reset ---> Didn't work
    2. Uninstalled the surface hid minidriver that was showing an error (code 10), then restart ---> Didn't work
    3. Reinstall Surface drivers/firmware manually ---> Didn't work
    4. Rolled-back the latest windows feature update ---> Didn't work
    5. Disconnect power source and hold power button for 30 seconds (it will force a restart and disconnect the battery for a short second) ---> It worked

    Please let me know if this works for anyone else.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-09-24T17:26:41+00:00

    FOUND A SOLUTION! I shut down the computer (not sleep or restart) then startup the laptop WHILE PLUGGED IN. It then sources the power from the charger instead of the internal battery, which allowed it to comeback. Now doing this for me only got the track pad to work but not keyboard so I then went into device manager and updated the HID driver that had the error. That was only because I previously uninstalled the driver.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-09-29T20:53:44+00:00

    Press and hold power button for 30 seconds until computer will restart. It should fix the problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-10-01T00:31:35+00:00

    I have had this problem multiple times - tried the surface repair tool, uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, downloading the full driver update, etc, etc,.  Nothing worked.

    Today I got lucky.  The Surface HID Mini Driver was the only driver in the device manager showing a problem.  I uninstalled it, as I have many times.  But then I uninstalled all of the keyboard drivers - there were three of them, all named HID Keyboard Device.  None of them indicated a problem when I checked, but I went ahead and uninstalled them anyway.

    Then I restarted the computer, and now the keyboard is working fine again.  There are now 4 HID Keyboard devices under Keyboards, and the Hid mini driver is still there under Human Interface Devices.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-10-06T22:44:46+00:00

    Before downloading drivers and resetting try the following worked for me and takes less than a minute.

    1. Plug in the charging adapter to your surface laptop.
    2. Turn off your computer if not already off (Make sure its powered off not in sleep mode)
    3. Power on your laptop thats it

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments