SurfaceOemPanel cannot be found Error in Event Log

Anonymous
2020-01-21T23:09:30+00:00

Hi, 

I have a Surface Pro X, and I was checking the event log, and I can see many errors from SurfaceOemPanel, but they all state that "The description for Event ID 512 from source SurfaceOemPanel cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer."

Same for Event ID 514.

Not sure what this error is, and what is the issue, but I have been facing problems with Skye For Business, and I think these events are related.

Thanks

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-04-22T17:50:19+00:00

    Same error, brand new out the box. No docking station no external monitor ever connected.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-06-08T16:35:39+00:00

    Hi, 

    I have a Surface Pro X, and I was checking the event log, and I can see many errors from SurfaceOemPanel, but they all state that "The description for Event ID 512 from source SurfaceOemPanel cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer."

    Same for Event ID 514.

    Not sure what this error is, and what is the issue, but I have been facing problems with Skye For Business, and I think these events are related.

    Thanks

    surface pro x, brand new bought on May/2021, I have the event ID 514 and then the surface pro X will shut down. I have another thread to record what I see. No solution yet. The surface pro X will shut down randomly.

    surface pro x without surface keyboard randomly enters hibernation - Microsoft Community

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-08-11T14:38:11+00:00

    Did you have Bitlocker on that machine? I have found that opening the laptop when rebooting or starting it is a decent work around for my environment, but I would like to find a fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-08-11T14:43:34+00:00

    Did you have Bitlocker on that machine? I have found that opening the laptop when rebooting or starting it is a decent work around for my environment, but I would like to find a fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-10-08T20:42:08+00:00

    These are legacy Event IDs which shouldn't be used by the Surface Panel firmware developers.

    Event ID 514 is "An authentication package has been loaded by the Local Security Authority."

    Event ID 513 is "Windows is shutting down"

    Event ID 512 is "Windows is starting up".

    In sequence, you're just performing a standard reboot. The errors are saying the Event Descriptions are not present for those IDs, which would be correct. It should be safe to ignore, as the error is with the lack of a description not that the event itself is the error.

    For a list of events check out https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-ds/plan/appendix-l--events-to-monitor

    For anyone hitting issues, the actual error would be before these events.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments