SurfaceOemPanel cannot be found Error in Event Log

Anonymous
2020-01-21T23:09:30+00:00

Hi, 

I have a Surface Pro X, and I was checking the event log, and I can see many errors from SurfaceOemPanel, but they all state that "The description for Event ID 512 from source SurfaceOemPanel cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer."

Same for Event ID 514.

Not sure what this error is, and what is the issue, but I have been facing problems with Skye For Business, and I think these events are related.

Thanks

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-05-17T02:35:06+00:00

    Yep I also have the same issue (Surface Pro 7 i5) and I noticed that I also can not change the MSCONFIG options to be a Normal Startup boot, it is stuck in Selective Boot, no matter how many times I try to change it.  My surface will shut down prematurely and occasionally will have serious screen flashing then lockup.   Just out of curiosity for everyone who also can not solve this problem what is your startup showing at?    FYI I'm sending mine back to Microsoft since I am fed up now beyond belief.   Every option and suggestion online, there are two many to list, I have tried to reinstall things, change settings, remove stuff etc.  

    Sorry but if Microsoft wants to tout this device as awesome with a cool sleep mode that lets me just open my type cover and its on, then it better work.  Instead I get greeted with a blank screen so I have to restart the computer to find my programs warning me of unexpected shutdown and having a Kernel-Power error 41 as well with this same error we all have.  

    Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-05-16T12:35:51+00:00

    I have the same problem in combination with a external monitor connected with USB-C (builtin dock)

    I have updated drivers, disabled wifi (which I thought had fixed but didn't) It happens sometimes every 5 minutes, sometimes every 3 hours. It is very annoying since you also lose connection to network and the screen itself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-05-08T09:19:58+00:00

    Hello everyone, same problem on surface 7 pro with i7 16gb.

    After some plug - unplug - and replug unplug - and replug and replug with a strange combo external monitor start working.

    In the event viewer have error ID 512.

    Firmware update 20.014.39957.0

    Still waiting news

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-04-13T13:14:05+00:00

    Same issue here.

    I'm on a 3 month old Surface Pro 7, i7, 16g RAM.

    It freezes randomly for about 1 second, then everything goes back to normal for a couple of hours etc. 

    Event log shows Error 512.

    Error was present from the start (unboxing, first boot up, updates...error was present).

    I did a clean reinstall --> error still present.

    I tried the suggested fix with booting in safe mode and deleting the surface panel driver, we'll see if this works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-03-26T19:58:14+00:00

    Check out my last reply on this thread:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/surface-dock-w-surface-laptop-3-external-displays/ddd7a9d0-f064-45fd-96ca-2988cef85f31?page=2

    I narrowed it down to an overheating video card on my Surface Laptop 3. 

    I added some easy steps on how to check yours too, but the gist is that you'll not see problems as long as you can hear the cooling fan running at a decent speed when you plug in your external monitor or dock.  As soon as it drops to very slow or off, you'll start seeing issues with external screens and that SurfaceOemPanel error in the logs.  It may not be the same problem for everyone, but it doesn't take long to try it out.

    As far as helping with a fix or warranty exchange, I wasn't able to get anywhere.  I am luckily still within the return period barely, and didn't hear back from my support ticket as promised today, so I got the return process started. 

    I really like my Surface, so I'll just take the risk and re-purchase another one in a month or two and see how it goes I guess.

    Edit:  You can also read through my thread at everything I tried and found out if you want.  I tried things like safe mode reinstall of drivers, buying multiple docks, buying a Surface USB-C to HDMI adapter, trying older drivers, trying generic drivers, and more.  None of that helped.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments