SurfaceOemPanel cannot be found Error in Event Log

Anonymous
2020-01-21T23:09:30+00:00

Hi, 

I have a Surface Pro X, and I was checking the event log, and I can see many errors from SurfaceOemPanel, but they all state that "The description for Event ID 512 from source SurfaceOemPanel cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer."

Same for Event ID 514.

Not sure what this error is, and what is the issue, but I have been facing problems with Skye For Business, and I think these events are related.

Thanks

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-29T11:27:41+00:00

    I have updated to the latest the Surface Laptop and Surface dock drives quite a while ago. This did not help. And even after some research I could not find any vendor drivers for my screens.

    I currently can minimize the problems a bit by connecting to Surface Dock after login in to Windows. In this case most of the time the screens get connected. Downside is other graphic problems appearing (e.g. giant task bar entries). These can only be repaired by signing out and signing in again:

    When connecting Surface dock after login in to windows:

    After sign out /sign in:

    Furthermore even when using this technique I get ghost monitors (see graphic below, Number 3 does not exist):

     

    I'll give this problem one or two more month. If Microsoft will not release any drivers to fix these problems I'll return the Surface and switch to a Lenovo Notebook instead. This would than be the first and last time to buy a Microsoft Notebook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-24T14:55:45+00:00

    Based on what you are describing and how often you are getting errors, I would go back to the beginning (of this thread and many others). I would try updating all of your firmware for your dock, your Surface, your monitors, etc. When I was able to get all of the latest updates in place, things improved with my system and they are working fairly well right now.

    When you check your firmware and driver versions, be careful when using the Windows 10 system check. You want to be using the most current version as provided by the vendors. I had to do a bunch of research and checking web sites to manually download and make sure that I had the correct firmware versions. Also, I noticed some of my monitors were using generic drivers and not the vendor specific drivers. I try to stay with the vendor monitor drivers as they seem more reliable. (This fixed at least one of my screen related problems.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-24T11:06:43+00:00

    Without knowing the internal code (since I am not the OS developer), the pattern that I have seen is that the problem relates to any time the OS has an issue relating to locating screens.

    I also think this is one of the main reasons for this issue. The error appears quite often (about 3 times an hour) in my windows event logs currently.

    I'm using a multi monitor setup with two monitors on Surface Dock + Surface Laptop as third monitor and I move around the open windows a lot between the screens. This currently seems to result in multiple problems:

    • My mouse has huge lags on the Surface Monitor. Sometimes it completely freezes. This only happens on the Surface monitor not on the other monitors.
    • Sometimes the Surface does not recognize any monitors at all on startup.
    • Sometimes monitors are recognized but don't wake up from sleep mode on startup.
    • Sometimes an additional (fourth) monitor is added which seems to be a copy of the third monitor. In this case the third monitor does not show anything on startup.

    Setup:

    • Surface Laptop 3 with AMD Radeon Vega Graphic
    • Surface Dock
    • 27 Inch Monitor connected with USB-C to DVI cable
    • 21 Inch Monitor connected with USB-C to HDMI cable

    Event Viewer Entry:

    The description for Event ID 513 from source SurfaceOemPanel cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

    If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

    The following information was included with the event:

    The request is not supported

    • <Event xmlns="**http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event**">
    • <System> <Provider Name="SurfaceOemPanel" /><EventID Qualifiers="49153">513</EventID><Level>2</Level><Task>0</Task><Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords><TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-02-24T07:35:05.386595600Z" /><EventRecordID>8607</EventRecordID><Channel>Application</Channel><Computer>...</Computer><Security /></System> <EventData /></Event>

    Edit: The latest AMD Radeon Vega Graphic Driver version (26.20.12063.1003) did not help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-02-11T20:15:54+00:00

    As I have been tracking this problem over the last months, it seems that there are many different layers and different triggers that can cause this error to appear. Without knowing the internal code (since I am not the OS developer), the pattern that I have seen is that the problem relates to any time the OS has an issue relating to locating screens.

    For instance, I found that this message can appear when my machine goes to sleep and then tries to wake. The number of errors depends upon the number of monitors I have connected.

    The message disappeared for a season when some firmware updates came out, but it is back again.

    I triggered this error multiple times when I was looking into a way to use the Surface Cover to turn off the Surface display and just use external monitors with a dock. I gave up on that idea as the OS was having too many problems resolving the main display.

    I am not sure what actual problems result from this error. I have seen different screen issues with the monitors, but I cannot conclusively say that they relate to this error message. For the most part, the machine runs fine with the error.

    On a related note, if you are using external monitors, I did find that the cables that you use can make a big difference. I just switched over to a 4K monitor and found that my existing HDMI cables could not support the monitor with a Surface Pro 7. Once I switched from HDMI to Display Port, I was able to run the 4K monitors at the highest resolution. I also found that many of my screens issues have been resolved since swapping the cables. Again, not conclusive, but might be something to look into if you are using external monitors.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-02-11T19:48:37+00:00

    book 3. brand new. no dock, no external monitor. 

    updated windows and surface

    same event error:

    The description for Event ID 514 from source SurfaceOemPanel cannot be found

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments