SurfaceOemPanel cannot be found Error in Event Log

Anonymous
2020-01-21T23:09:30+00:00

Hi, 

I have a Surface Pro X, and I was checking the event log, and I can see many errors from SurfaceOemPanel, but they all state that "The description for Event ID 512 from source SurfaceOemPanel cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer."

Same for Event ID 514.

Not sure what this error is, and what is the issue, but I have been facing problems with Skye For Business, and I think these events are related.

Thanks

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-30T22:17:24+00:00

    Interesting, was wondering if you have an external monitor attached to your laptop. 

    Surface Pro 7 is not a laptop, just a tablet. Nothing is attached to my tablet so your specific hardware setup should not be related to the error message.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-30T11:37:13+00:00

    Thanks 3lectr0

    Interesting, was wondering if you have an external monitor attached to your laptop. 

    Mine is connected to two monitors through Surface Dock. not sure if that is related though.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-01-29T21:03:24+00:00

    Same problem here on Surface Pro 7 for Business, how can we resolve these error messages?

    Log Name:      Application

    Source:        SurfaceOemPanel

    Date:          29.01.2020 21:49:08

    Event ID:      514

    Task Category: None

    Level:         Error

    Keywords:      Classic

    User:          N/A

    Description:

    The description for Event ID 514 from source SurfaceOemPanel cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

    If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

    The following information was included with the event:

    Event Xml:

    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

      <System>

        <Provider Name="SurfaceOemPanel" />

        <EventID Qualifiers="49153">514</EventID>

        <Level>2</Level>

        <Task>0</Task>

        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

        <EventRecordID>10173</EventRecordID>

        <Channel>Application</Channel>

        <Security />

      </System>

      <EventData>

      </EventData>

    </Event>

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-23T12:11:59+00:00

    Hi and thanks for the reply, 

    I have tried the suggested action but still the same error is still coming in the Event Log.

    Skype for Business hangs and crashes from time to time, I have a separate question with you on that is being answered by someone else, and she actually pointed out to me the problems in the events logs that I am raising here, and suggested that this needs to be looked at. so this is why I am raising this question here.

    I am happy to provide event logs if needed.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-01-22T03:33:40+00:00

    Hi SamerMaslamani,

    Thank you for reaching out to Microsoft Community.

    May we ask what are these problems you are having with your Skype for Business? Does this include crashing of the application?

    Please try these steps to troubleshoot the issue:

     1: Run Surface Diagnostic Toolkit and check Windows Update

     2: Use the System File Checker Tool in Windows 10

    If this answer your question, we highly encourage you to inform our Community by clicking on Yes or marking my post as an answer. This will help other members who may have the same issue as you. Otherwise, don't hesitate to update us so we can further assist you.

    Kind Regards,

    Marrion Y.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments