Same issue for me with a Surface Pro 7 with Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G4 CPU. Had that right out of the box. The installed OS is Windows 10 Pro 64bit v.20H2. An update of the graphics driver did not fix the issue. I need an immediate solution to fix this issue or I have to return the Surface.
SurfaceOemPanel cannot be found Error in Event Log
Hi,
I have a Surface Pro X, and I was checking the event log, and I can see many errors from SurfaceOemPanel, but they all state that "The description for Event ID 512 from source SurfaceOemPanel cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer."
Same for Event ID 514.
Not sure what this error is, and what is the issue, but I have been facing problems with Skye For Business, and I think these events are related.
Thanks
Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2021-01-21T16:08:42+00:00 -
Anonymous
2020-10-26T09:47:48+00:00 How? What exactly did you update and how?
-
Anonymous
2020-09-17T21:13:45+00:00 I have the exact same issue with no external monitor. Surface Laptop 3. Touch screen still works. It is quite a shame. I have had this less than a year with these problems.
-
Anonymous
2020-06-14T19:04:26+00:00 I will try it, not sure if that work because the surface display was the main monitor. But I have another question are you getting BSOD if you unpluging your Display Cable. If not what kind of kabel to you have? I am using a USB C to HDMI.
-
Anonymous
2020-06-14T15:09:01+00:00 Here is how I resolved the problem after trying a few things.
First, I unplugged the external monitors from my Surface Dock and booted the system to see if the error code went away, and it did.
So in my case, I was able to determine that the extra monitors were the source of the error code.
What I noticed was that I was using an external monitor, not the Surface Pro 7, as the main/primary display. Once I set the Surface Pro 7 screen as the main display, my problems were fixed.
This makes sense because the error relates to the "SurfaceOEMPanel cannot be found". The software expects that the main display is the Surface
panel and it can't find the panel when an external monitor is set as the main display, and that is why the error goes away when no external monitors are being used.
So to try this fix:
-Right click on the screen and select "Display settings".
-Click the Identify button and make sure that you have selected the Surface panel by clicking on the proper rectangle. (This is usually screen 1).
-Scroll down and look under "Multiple displays" and check the box "Make this my main display".
-Now try rebooting your system and check the error codes.
This fix does mean that the Surface becomes your main display which is often a smaller monitor than the external monitors.