SurfaceOemPanel cannot be found Error in Event Log

Anonymous
2020-01-21T23:09:30+00:00

Hi, 

I have a Surface Pro X, and I was checking the event log, and I can see many errors from SurfaceOemPanel, but they all state that "The description for Event ID 512 from source SurfaceOemPanel cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer."

Same for Event ID 514.

Not sure what this error is, and what is the issue, but I have been facing problems with Skye For Business, and I think these events are related.

Thanks

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-05-08T09:19:58+00:00

    Hello everyone, same problem on surface 7 pro with i7 16gb.

    After some plug - unplug - and replug unplug - and replug and replug with a strange combo external monitor start working.

    In the event viewer have error ID 512.

    Firmware update 20.014.39957.0

    Still waiting news

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-04-13T13:14:05+00:00

    Same issue here.

    I'm on a 3 month old Surface Pro 7, i7, 16g RAM.

    It freezes randomly for about 1 second, then everything goes back to normal for a couple of hours etc. 

    Event log shows Error 512.

    Error was present from the start (unboxing, first boot up, updates...error was present).

    I did a clean reinstall --> error still present.

    I tried the suggested fix with booting in safe mode and deleting the surface panel driver, we'll see if this works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-03-26T19:58:14+00:00

    Check out my last reply on this thread:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/surface-dock-w-surface-laptop-3-external-displays/ddd7a9d0-f064-45fd-96ca-2988cef85f31?page=2

    I narrowed it down to an overheating video card on my Surface Laptop 3. 

    I added some easy steps on how to check yours too, but the gist is that you'll not see problems as long as you can hear the cooling fan running at a decent speed when you plug in your external monitor or dock.  As soon as it drops to very slow or off, you'll start seeing issues with external screens and that SurfaceOemPanel error in the logs.  It may not be the same problem for everyone, but it doesn't take long to try it out.

    As far as helping with a fix or warranty exchange, I wasn't able to get anywhere.  I am luckily still within the return period barely, and didn't hear back from my support ticket as promised today, so I got the return process started. 

    I really like my Surface, so I'll just take the risk and re-purchase another one in a month or two and see how it goes I guess.

    Edit:  You can also read through my thread at everything I tried and found out if you want.  I tried things like safe mode reinstall of drivers, buying multiple docks, buying a Surface USB-C to HDMI adapter, trying older drivers, trying generic drivers, and more.  None of that helped.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-03-26T19:17:44+00:00

    Hi community

    Same issue here on a Surface Laptop 3 - less than 3 months old :-(

    Running all lastest Windows Updates. Have updated to latest driver and firmaware.

    And a lot of other errors in the Event Log (see below)

    It also boots by it self after being in power save mode. Had to disable the power saving options.

    Sad to see this on a high-end expensive piece of hardware.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-03-11T03:23:43+00:00

    it would be worth it to restart in safe mode with networking and install SurfaceOemPanel from there. Restart in safe mode, then go to the device manager, delete the driver of the surface under monitor. Then, reinstall it from the safe mode.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

    I guess the problem come from Microsoft, I have the feeling that their driver can't be installed because of a security problem when it installed from windows update. When the surface tried to install the driver in the normal mode of windows, i heard the sound confirming that the device was installed instantly followed by the sound of a device that was removed from the system.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments