High pitched very disturbing noise off my Surface Pro

Anonymous
2013-03-14T21:42:40+00:00

I have had my first surface pro sent on a warranty run because of it producing a very annoying high pitched disturbing noise which came (in "waves") a little now and then, whenever I am using the tablet. It did not come from the fan, I know how that defect sounds, it was more of a electronic noise. The noise isn't very loud, but sounds like you get tinnitus and is so disturbing that I can't use the tablet at all in my quiet room. The noise comes also when I have disabled the sound card, bluetooth device, wifi etc. I've tried to disable most of the drivers that are disableble ;) It doesn't get rid of the noise.

So now the company which I bought it from, sent me a new surface pro 128Gb. The sad thing is that my new tablet produces the very same noise as the one I got changed. So what is the chances that I've gotten two defective devices (assuming that the import company I am ordering from isn't sending me defective devices on purpose...) twice?

With this assumption I guess that most of microsoft surface pro have this defect and I badly need a solution for it. I have waited for one year for a product that I could use effectively for taking notes of lectures and when it comes, I get this noise issue which I have never encountered with any other tablet I've used, ever. When everything else is perfect, why does this thing have to ruin it :(

The fan isn't even on when noise present, but one interesting thing is that the noise disappears when I press the tablets sleep button and it goes into sleep. Is there a way to get rid of the noise? I can live without most things except wifi, screen, soundcard, touch and wacom. Even with only these things functioning (as long as the noise would be gone) it would be worth the 1400$ it has costed me. But this noise makes it impossible to use the tablet.

**Thanks in advance for the help!**All suggestions are welcome.

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-18T13:25:33+00:00

That sounds like machine noise from the SSD and is dang annoying! I would definitely return it as you likely have a malfunctioning or dying SSD in the SP.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-04-29T12:05:45+00:00

    I know this is an old thread but I just picked up a surface pro (first gen) today and immediately noticed the high pitched hum. I ran the registry fix as described in this thread and it resolved the constant noise (my thanks to the poster). However, there is still the scratchy noise whenever the device is transferring data - I guess its the SSD. It is nowhere near as annoying as the high pitched noise and if they are all like this I guess I can accept it but if its a faulty unit I'd like to arrange for a replacement. Can anyone who is capable of hearing this noise (I know some people never seem to hear these quiet, electrical sounds) confirm whether it is present on all units or if replacements have helped? Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-29T14:37:03+00:00

    Hey Paul,

    I have pretty sensitive ears and I never heard any kind of data read/write scratching what so ever.  That said you might have a tricky time getting it replaced if it's not affecting performance and it's difficult to perceive.  When I wanted to confirm the whine, I went to Best Buy when it wasn't too busy and put my ear very close to one of the machines to make sure they were all making the same sound.  Might be worth a shot.

    Just FYI to whomever might be interested, I owned a Surface Pro 2 and the noise was, thankfully, completely gone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-29T15:52:28+00:00

    It was purchased directly from microsoft online. Luckily here in the UK (not sure about the rest of the world) we have the right to return any item bought online for any reason within 7 days. I would dread to try and demonstrate this noise to a returns desk in a busy retail store!! That said, I called Microsoft support and they immediately agreed to arrange for collection and a refund though they have no option for a straight swap. So if I want to try another I will need to re-order. I am tempted to purchase a second one, test it and if its the same, return whichever is the worst of the two.

    In fairness it is a lovely device and its probably one of those things I'd get used to in time anyway (my old HP laptop sounds like a space shuttle) but it would be nice to enjoy it from the start!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-14T05:32:34+00:00

    It works, I still hear something mild in the background but the scratching noise disappeared and it's 95% better! Gonna test battery life this week

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments