That sounds like machine noise from the SSD and is dang annoying! I would definitely return it as you likely have a malfunctioning or dying SSD in the SP.
High pitched very disturbing noise off my Surface Pro
I have had my first surface pro sent on a warranty run because of it producing a very annoying high pitched disturbing noise which came (in "waves") a little now and then, whenever I am using the tablet. It did not come from the fan, I know how that defect sounds, it was more of a electronic noise. The noise isn't very loud, but sounds like you get tinnitus and is so disturbing that I can't use the tablet at all in my quiet room. The noise comes also when I have disabled the sound card, bluetooth device, wifi etc. I've tried to disable most of the drivers that are disableble ;) It doesn't get rid of the noise.
So now the company which I bought it from, sent me a new surface pro 128Gb. The sad thing is that my new tablet produces the very same noise as the one I got changed. So what is the chances that I've gotten two defective devices (assuming that the import company I am ordering from isn't sending me defective devices on purpose...) twice?
With this assumption I guess that most of microsoft surface pro have this defect and I badly need a solution for it. I have waited for one year for a product that I could use effectively for taking notes of lectures and when it comes, I get this noise issue which I have never encountered with any other tablet I've used, ever. When everything else is perfect, why does this thing have to ruin it :(
The fan isn't even on when noise present, but one interesting thing is that the noise disappears when I press the tablets sleep button and it goes into sleep. Is there a way to get rid of the noise? I can live without most things except wifi, screen, soundcard, touch and wacom. Even with only these things functioning (as long as the noise would be gone) it would be worth the 1400$ it has costed me. But this noise makes it impossible to use the tablet.
**Thanks in advance for the help!**All suggestions are welcome.
Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
44 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2014-02-05T21:31:55+00:00 That sounds like machine noise from the SSD and is dang annoying! I would definitely return it as you likely have a malfunctioning or dying SSD in the SP.
Please. What. How are you allowed on the internet? An SSD or Solid State Drive has 0 moving parts (unless you're counting electrons) and thus has no "machine noise". My god, please don't give advice again; I fear someone may get injured.
-
Anonymous
2014-02-06T14:48:37+00:00 That sounds like machine noise from the SSD and is dang annoying! I would definitely return it as you likely have a malfunctioning or dying SSD in the SP.
Please. What. How are you allowed on the internet? An SSD or Solid State Drive has 0 moving parts (unless you're counting electrons) and thus has no "machine noise". My god, please don't give advice again; I fear someone may get injured.
Search for defective ssd noise on youtube and you might find a high pitched noise very similar to the one heard from my old surface pro...
There should be no moving part as much as a graphics card or powersupply shouldn't (not counting the fans). Still coil whine is very common. Also some of these fanless powersupplies to laptops release a high freauency sound.
Because of the matter of fact that electrial currents create magnetic fields and coiled parts in electronics (beleive it or not) aren't too uncommon, parts that should not move, start to move and you get that lovely noise.
As several have noted before, the noise in surface seems related to the cpu state (none moving parts) , tthat is not fan related or SSD related (allthough it could have been).
Please just be kind to others :)
-
Anonymous
2014-02-07T05:27:36+00:00 So, I returned my machine and decided to get a touch laptop instead /: It was a shame really, as I truly enjoyed writing on the surface.
Anyway, to my surprised I've now found that the same type of noise is present on many ultrabooks. As I browsed the stores, I could tell they had the same issue when holding my head close to the hardware. I've had laptops before, and a SSD in a MacBook, but it has never been an issue.
I suspect much of this issue for me has come from the fact that my head is much close to the surface than it is to a laptop or a stationary machine. I would bend over the machine to write on it, or hold it close to my head on the couch (which is also true for laptops however, but never in a quite reading room at university, where the issue was worst for me). So maybe this is widespread, not heard by everyone, and more of a problem with tablets than laptops and ultrabooks in general.
Yep, a lot of tablets/ultrabooks seem to have this audio issue. It's not so common amongst laptops because there's more space in laptops to accommodate for their internal parts, whereas in smaller devices - such as tablets - internal parts sit tightly to each other. One of the common reasons as to why this white noise is heard through headphone's audio output is because the motherboard somehow "touches" the headphone's audio jack and therefore interferes with it, which leads to the presence of the white noise.
Update: Ok, I've read the thread. C-state of CPU seems to be the culprit of the white noise, which is present in headphone's audio output. A possible fix is the one suggested by user "CarstenB76" on page 2 (this forum doesn't have a possibility to link a certain post)
Although,
The consensus seems to be that it is an issue with the Intel processor running in a low power state (aka C-state). Some users have found relief by disabling the C-States.
Like the rest of us, you will have to live with it :(.
the registry tweak didn't fix the issue. I wonder what tablets, similar to this one, don't have this issue.
You might also notice that some PCs have static white noise in front headphone audio jacks, whereas there's no white noise coming out through the rear jacks.
-
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more