High pitched very disturbing noise off my Surface Pro

Anonymous
2013-03-14T21:42:40+00:00

I have had my first surface pro sent on a warranty run because of it producing a very annoying high pitched disturbing noise which came (in "waves") a little now and then, whenever I am using the tablet. It did not come from the fan, I know how that defect sounds, it was more of a electronic noise. The noise isn't very loud, but sounds like you get tinnitus and is so disturbing that I can't use the tablet at all in my quiet room. The noise comes also when I have disabled the sound card, bluetooth device, wifi etc. I've tried to disable most of the drivers that are disableble ;) It doesn't get rid of the noise.

So now the company which I bought it from, sent me a new surface pro 128Gb. The sad thing is that my new tablet produces the very same noise as the one I got changed. So what is the chances that I've gotten two defective devices (assuming that the import company I am ordering from isn't sending me defective devices on purpose...) twice?

With this assumption I guess that most of microsoft surface pro have this defect and I badly need a solution for it. I have waited for one year for a product that I could use effectively for taking notes of lectures and when it comes, I get this noise issue which I have never encountered with any other tablet I've used, ever. When everything else is perfect, why does this thing have to ruin it :(

The fan isn't even on when noise present, but one interesting thing is that the noise disappears when I press the tablets sleep button and it goes into sleep. Is there a way to get rid of the noise? I can live without most things except wifi, screen, soundcard, touch and wacom. Even with only these things functioning (as long as the noise would be gone) it would be worth the 1400$ it has costed me. But this noise makes it impossible to use the tablet.

**Thanks in advance for the help!**All suggestions are welcome.

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-18T13:25:33+00:00

That sounds like machine noise from the SSD and is dang annoying! I would definitely return it as you likely have a malfunctioning or dying SSD in the SP.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-31T19:29:38+00:00

    I'm having precisely the same problem.  I sent my surface back to Microsoft for service, and the one they returned to me (a different physical device) had the same issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-06-14T19:55:23+00:00

    I took mine to the store today to see if the other Surface machines they had at display had the same problem, and if so, return mine.  The store was a tad noisy, but it was quite clear upon putting my head close to the demo machines that they too indeed had the same noise (which is exactly like the recording above btw, great capture!).

    So, I returned my machine and decided to get a touch laptop instead /:  It was a shame really, as I truly enjoyed writing on the surface. 

    Anyway, to my surprised I've now found that the same type of noise is present on many ultrabooks.  As I browsed the stores, I could tell they had the same issue when holding my head close to the hardware.  I've had laptops before, and a SSD in a MacBook, but it has never been an issue. 

    I suspect much of this issue for me has come from the fact that my head is much close to the surface than it is to a laptop or a stationary machine.  I would bend over the machine to write on it, or hold it close to my head on the couch (which is also true for laptops however, but never in a quite reading room at university, where the issue was worst for me).  So maybe this is widespread, not heard by everyone, and more of a problem with tablets than laptops and ultrabooks in general.

    I also spoke with Microsoft Support today, and they were really excellent.  The issue however was not known to them it seemed, not very widespread.  The guy at the store didn't know this issue either.  I supplied a link to the recording above to them both, as this is exactly what I hear.  I have a notion that perhaps its hard to belive the presence of this sound if you cannot head it, or ignore it easily, but I'm absolutely sure I could tell it's presence in a blind test if need be.

    Anyways, thus ended my Surface Pro time.. such a small thing that made such a big difference /: Even if relatively few people have this problem, I hope it will be fixed in future hardware.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-06-14T22:19:00+00:00

    I have just gone thru a switch thru MS service which was extremely helpful. Amazing service i must say.

    The 2nd unit i have received do though have the same problem just not as crazy, yet still high enough for it to bother me since i have very sensitive hearing. Im sorta torn....in a dilemma here. The Surface is right for me, size, style and form factor. But i can't ignore that sound. does anyone know if theres a chance that i could get one that doesn't do this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-06-16T06:55:34+00:00

    This is not the answer. It's the sound from the CPU idle, also known as C-State

    I've tried disabling idle state. The effect is that the fan now runs continously and covers the whistling noise !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments