That sounds like machine noise from the SSD and is dang annoying! I would definitely return it as you likely have a malfunctioning or dying SSD in the SP.
High pitched very disturbing noise off my Surface Pro
I have had my first surface pro sent on a warranty run because of it producing a very annoying high pitched disturbing noise which came (in "waves") a little now and then, whenever I am using the tablet. It did not come from the fan, I know how that defect sounds, it was more of a electronic noise. The noise isn't very loud, but sounds like you get tinnitus and is so disturbing that I can't use the tablet at all in my quiet room. The noise comes also when I have disabled the sound card, bluetooth device, wifi etc. I've tried to disable most of the drivers that are disableble ;) It doesn't get rid of the noise.
So now the company which I bought it from, sent me a new surface pro 128Gb. The sad thing is that my new tablet produces the very same noise as the one I got changed. So what is the chances that I've gotten two defective devices (assuming that the import company I am ordering from isn't sending me defective devices on purpose...) twice?
With this assumption I guess that most of microsoft surface pro have this defect and I badly need a solution for it. I have waited for one year for a product that I could use effectively for taking notes of lectures and when it comes, I get this noise issue which I have never encountered with any other tablet I've used, ever. When everything else is perfect, why does this thing have to ruin it :(
The fan isn't even on when noise present, but one interesting thing is that the noise disappears when I press the tablets sleep button and it goes into sleep. Is there a way to get rid of the noise? I can live without most things except wifi, screen, soundcard, touch and wacom. Even with only these things functioning (as long as the noise would be gone) it would be worth the 1400$ it has costed me. But this noise makes it impossible to use the tablet.
**Thanks in advance for the help!**All suggestions are welcome.
Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
44 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2015-12-07T10:30:25+00:00 That's interesting. I'll try that next time and report back
-
Anonymous
2016-02-24T14:08:06+00:00 Can you please give me specific directions on how to do this...I am having the same high pitch problem and my microphone is not working...cortana cannot hear me. please help.
-
Anonymous
2016-05-12T03:05:43+00:00 I have this problem too. High-pitch whining sound, sounds like tinnitus. Microsoft sent me two replacements and both have the high-pitch sound. Pretty sure all Surface Pro 4s have his issue though the original SP4 I purchased, I did not notice the sound. I originally sent it in because I was constantly getting BSOD even with all updates.
-
Anonymous
2017-03-09T08:54:18+00:00 Try disabling your Wifi on the surface pro and then reconnect. Having similar issue, hope this helps.