That sounds like machine noise from the SSD and is dang annoying! I would definitely return it as you likely have a malfunctioning or dying SSD in the SP.
High pitched very disturbing noise off my Surface Pro
I have had my first surface pro sent on a warranty run because of it producing a very annoying high pitched disturbing noise which came (in "waves") a little now and then, whenever I am using the tablet. It did not come from the fan, I know how that defect sounds, it was more of a electronic noise. The noise isn't very loud, but sounds like you get tinnitus and is so disturbing that I can't use the tablet at all in my quiet room. The noise comes also when I have disabled the sound card, bluetooth device, wifi etc. I've tried to disable most of the drivers that are disableble ;) It doesn't get rid of the noise.
So now the company which I bought it from, sent me a new surface pro 128Gb. The sad thing is that my new tablet produces the very same noise as the one I got changed. So what is the chances that I've gotten two defective devices (assuming that the import company I am ordering from isn't sending me defective devices on purpose...) twice?
With this assumption I guess that most of microsoft surface pro have this defect and I badly need a solution for it. I have waited for one year for a product that I could use effectively for taking notes of lectures and when it comes, I get this noise issue which I have never encountered with any other tablet I've used, ever. When everything else is perfect, why does this thing have to ruin it :(
The fan isn't even on when noise present, but one interesting thing is that the noise disappears when I press the tablets sleep button and it goes into sleep. Is there a way to get rid of the noise? I can live without most things except wifi, screen, soundcard, touch and wacom. Even with only these things functioning (as long as the noise would be gone) it would be worth the 1400$ it has costed me. But this noise makes it impossible to use the tablet.
**Thanks in advance for the help!**All suggestions are welcome.
Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
44 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2013-08-21T01:29:44+00:00 hi, this is a common occurrence but is not yet officially admitted. The consensus seems to be that it is an issue with the Intel processor running in a low power state (aka C-state). Some users have found relief by disabling the C-States. However i believe by doing that you reduce the battery life of the device. I had my first surface replaced due to this issue but the second one also makes this noise.
This issue is also not limited to the Surface Pro but to many other PCs using intel processors.
Like the rest of us, you will have to live with it :(.
-
Anonymous
2013-08-20T04:56:32+00:00 My new surface pro has this high pitch noise as well. As many have said before, is this whining issue a common and officially admitted occurrence? Or should I get a replacement?
-
Anonymous
2013-07-29T01:27:58+00:00 Hi, so I have the same high pitched noise issue with my Surface. From your experience, is it worth trying to replace it from MS? Also, did the registry fix work and what affect does it have on battery? Thanks.
-
Anonymous
2013-07-12T06:42:30+00:00 Well, changing the registry definitely fixes it for me. I think its definitively related to the c-states of the CPU. However, I'm not sure what the expense is on the battery life. The silence is very, very nice.
Anyone try the hotfix?
The hotfix did not work for me, as it appears to check for Windows version. And since the fix is made for Windows Server 2008, it will not work on Windows 8 ... unfortunately.
But thanks for letting me know the registry change worked for you :)