That sounds like machine noise from the SSD and is dang annoying! I would definitely return it as you likely have a malfunctioning or dying SSD in the SP.
High pitched very disturbing noise off my Surface Pro
I have had my first surface pro sent on a warranty run because of it producing a very annoying high pitched disturbing noise which came (in "waves") a little now and then, whenever I am using the tablet. It did not come from the fan, I know how that defect sounds, it was more of a electronic noise. The noise isn't very loud, but sounds like you get tinnitus and is so disturbing that I can't use the tablet at all in my quiet room. The noise comes also when I have disabled the sound card, bluetooth device, wifi etc. I've tried to disable most of the drivers that are disableble ;) It doesn't get rid of the noise.
So now the company which I bought it from, sent me a new surface pro 128Gb. The sad thing is that my new tablet produces the very same noise as the one I got changed. So what is the chances that I've gotten two defective devices (assuming that the import company I am ordering from isn't sending me defective devices on purpose...) twice?
With this assumption I guess that most of microsoft surface pro have this defect and I badly need a solution for it. I have waited for one year for a product that I could use effectively for taking notes of lectures and when it comes, I get this noise issue which I have never encountered with any other tablet I've used, ever. When everything else is perfect, why does this thing have to ruin it :(
The fan isn't even on when noise present, but one interesting thing is that the noise disappears when I press the tablets sleep button and it goes into sleep. Is there a way to get rid of the noise? I can live without most things except wifi, screen, soundcard, touch and wacom. Even with only these things functioning (as long as the noise would be gone) it would be worth the 1400$ it has costed me. But this noise makes it impossible to use the tablet.
**Thanks in advance for the help!**All suggestions are welcome.
Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
44 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2014-02-05T21:31:55+00:00 That sounds like machine noise from the SSD and is dang annoying! I would definitely return it as you likely have a malfunctioning or dying SSD in the SP.
Please. What. How are you allowed on the internet? An SSD or Solid State Drive has 0 moving parts (unless you're counting electrons) and thus has no "machine noise". My god, please don't give advice again; I fear someone may get injured.
-
Anonymous
2013-03-15T09:49:13+00:00 I thought about the hearing issue but discarded it as I'm sure plenty of young people have the Pro and we would have seen other complaints by now if it was a general issue, it seems like this may be an issue just for you. Given that it occurs all the time my original comments stand: try and get a replacement from a different source or wait until it is officially launched where you live so you can get one with a local warranty.
-
Anonymous
2013-03-15T09:36:14+00:00 Thank you for your replies!
The issue is not connected to the cpu usage. At Idle it does the sound, when used lightly it does the sound and when use "mediumly" it does the very same sound. The sound appears whether I am playing up sound or not via the sound card. The sounds appears when I've just restarted the device and it is around 20 degree celcius hot. The sound also appears after I've put the cpu max power down to 10%. The same sound appears whether the screen brightness is on minimun or maximum. The sounds appears if the wifi is on/off or even disabled. Same goes with bluetooth. Same goes with soundcard. Same goes with usb I think, I tried to deactivate it. The sound appears when the device is on battery and also when it is charging. The sounds also appears no matter if the cpu cooling is on passive mode or active. The noise only dissapears when the tablet is shut off or when I press the lock buttom fastly(which is used to power on the device), which puts the device in some kind of sleeping mode.
Also I've noted that I can leave the device on Idle and it still does the very same noise every now and then.
There may be a truth in that the company I bought the device from has received a whole defect batch. What should be noted is that people over 25-30 years old should find it hard to hear the noise since it is very high pitched and the high frequencies is what people lose when they start to get hearing loss (my father can't hear the noise for example).
When listening at the fan wholes in passive cooling mode I can hear the sound clearer. It makes around the same noise as my stationary computes nvidia soundcard sends out to my speakers whenever I am using another usb soundcard on my computer (only even higher in frequency on the surface). I could try to record the noise with my high sensitive condenser microphone if that would bring the discussion forward.
Again thanks for the replies!
-
Anonymous
2013-03-14T21:49:38+00:00 might be related to the cpu power state? my hp laptop also does annoying high pitched noises whenever the cpu idles. so when you get the surface into sleep, it shuts down the cpu and whatever causes the electrical whining is also shut down at that point.