Anyone having issues powering on their Surface Book 2?

Anonymous
2018-01-31T22:27:25+00:00

I am having issues the past couple weeks powering on my Surface Book 2 via the power button. It does not respond unless I eject the tablet half from the base and then press the power button. No setting or software changes except the Surface firmware update for Meltdown/Spectre a couple weeks ago. I'd say 1 out of every 5 attempts of me powering on results in a hard reboot and losing everything I had open. This is extremely frustrating! PS. I typically hibernate my PC. Would be great to hear from others that have applied the latest firmware and hibernate, if possible.

Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-03-31T17:27:39+00:00

    I'm not sure that I am having the same problem or not - but I have some similar issues. If I leave my SB2 on and unattended for a long time, I will come back and it cannot seem to use the camera or keyboard to sign me in - so I am forced to do a reboot - which is very difficult. I usually have to slide up, then down to shut down the computer. Then I have to press and hold the power button for 30 seconds to have it reboot. It doesn't always respond, but usually it does. 

    I don't understand what it happening while it is unattended. I have turned off all of the sleep/hibernate functions, and have tried to make sure that nothing can be turned off to save power when it is plugged in. But it still acts as if it is broken when I try to use it after it has been sitting overnight or for a length of time unattended.

    This started recently and I have no idea if an update caused it or not.

    Very frustrating. I have run the diagnostics and it cannot find anything wrong.

    I've been very underwhelmed with the reliability of Microsoft Hardware. This computer is AMAZING when it works, but it doesn't work a LOT. Between this problem and problems with it losing the NVidia graphics card over and over again, it is hard to trust this computer in critical situations.

    I really wanted to love this computer and love Microsoft, but it seems like MS doesn't care very much. Their main solution is to throw a refurbished computer at you when you have a problem, but that doesn't fix the problem sometimes and often you get a computer with a new set of problems.

    I am very disappointed in my experience so far. I'm not even angry, just sad.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-04-23T03:48:00+00:00

    Be nice to be able to run the diagnostics.  Since the Surface Book2 less than 1 year old WON’T turn on I am unable to do recommended step.  Disgusted with the Surface Book 2.  Was looking forward to an exceptional device.  NOT!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-06-12T01:54:07+00:00

    Same here. Laptop just died and won't turn on again. Called customer support and says they will only replace the laptop, meaning all my work is gone. 

    Infuriating and feel like at this price point and for that well established a corporation, Microsoft can take a page from its competitors in customer service.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-06-12T11:27:11+00:00

    Same here. Laptop just died and won't turn on again. Called customer support and says they will only replace the laptop, meaning all my work is gone. 

    Infuriating and feel like at this price point and for that well established a corporation, Microsoft can take a page from its competitors in customer service. 

    Microsoft Customer support is a complete joke

    What have you tried yourself?

    A different charger to make sure fully charged?

    Detaching screen from base and trying to power on?

    Etc

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-06-12T11:53:41+00:00

    Hi Mysteryyy,

    Thank you for your suggestions.  

    I have tried the usual holding down volume and power button, which didn't work. 

    But I don't know how to detach my monitor from the keyboard without it being able to turn on. 

    I saw the paperclip thing online but it seems more applicable to book 1 and might be a bit risky to try..

    Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments