Anyone having issues powering on their Surface Book 2?

Anonymous
2018-01-31T22:27:25+00:00

I am having issues the past couple weeks powering on my Surface Book 2 via the power button. It does not respond unless I eject the tablet half from the base and then press the power button. No setting or software changes except the Surface firmware update for Meltdown/Spectre a couple weeks ago. I'd say 1 out of every 5 attempts of me powering on results in a hard reboot and losing everything I had open. This is extremely frustrating! PS. I typically hibernate my PC. Would be great to hear from others that have applied the latest firmware and hibernate, if possible.

Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-02T12:33:34+00:00

    I have the same issue. I can only turn the surface on by hitting the detach button first

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-07T16:59:11+00:00

    The issue has resolved itself an update after I reported it. You do need to report it as a problem to Microsoft. I suggest using the Feedback Hub and Get Help apps on your device.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-11-21T16:38:43+00:00

    Just reading through some message board to understand what happened to my surface book. i had it for a month and last friday it just melted down. keyboard and monitor super hot. Not happy about the month worth of loading programs to get things working.

    hoping its a one off. Concerned about the other issues that i'm reading about now!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-11-21T23:30:46+00:00

    Good luck, my third machine is starting to do the same as the other two. I should have taken hytek’s advice to sell it. 

    My second device I spent 3 hours with tech support running firmware update, system restore and multiple surface device test/reset (same exact process I went through as my first device) with no solution and was told to take it to a MS store to get repaired. 

    At the MS store I showed the tech the issue he was lost for words. After 1 hour of doing same thing I did woth tech support he gave up and just gave me a new machine. I told the tech and the store manager I don’t even want a new machine I just want that one to work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-11-24T17:07:23+00:00

    i have been having the exact same issue for the last week.  machine worked perfectly since i bought it and now i have to detach to turn on.  very frustrating.  even more frustrating is reading these threads that nothing works to fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments