I had the very same problem with my Surface Book (1) and even on a replacement model, and 2 years in, there are still power and screen problems (charging issues and ghost clicks and blue screens). Now its just a brick and I’ll not be buying any Microsoft laptops in the future, unless performance reliability and reviews improves significantly.
Anyone having issues powering on their Surface Book 2?
I am having issues the past couple weeks powering on my Surface Book 2 via the power button. It does not respond unless I eject the tablet half from the base and then press the power button. No setting or software changes except the Surface firmware update for Meltdown/Spectre a couple weeks ago. I'd say 1 out of every 5 attempts of me powering on results in a hard reboot and losing everything I had open. This is extremely frustrating! PS. I typically hibernate my PC. Would be great to hear from others that have applied the latest firmware and hibernate, if possible.
Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
48 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2018-12-26T16:48:54+00:00 -
Anonymous
2018-12-08T14:39:45+00:00 My power button issue started around January and resolved around August. I am not exactly sure which update fixed it but I did apply many updates between August and September including regular windows updates, firmware updates, and eventually upgraded to 1803 (which I regretted as of course that upgrade introduced other problems and I kind of wish I stuck with 1709 and put up with this problem because my machine was stable otherwise).
-
Anonymous
2018-12-08T12:40:05+00:00 Commenting to be notified... I do the volume up/down trick to get it working, I hadn't tried the detach screen, good to know another work around. I'm following a few threads now, zero practical responses or support from Microsoft to such big issues with the SB2.
-
Anonymous
2018-11-24T17:07:23+00:00 i have been having the exact same issue for the last week. machine worked perfectly since i bought it and now i have to detach to turn on. very frustrating. even more frustrating is reading these threads that nothing works to fix it.
-
Anonymous
2018-11-21T23:30:46+00:00 Good luck, my third machine is starting to do the same as the other two. I should have taken hytek’s advice to sell it.
My second device I spent 3 hours with tech support running firmware update, system restore and multiple surface device test/reset (same exact process I went through as my first device) with no solution and was told to take it to a MS store to get repaired.
At the MS store I showed the tech the issue he was lost for words. After 1 hour of doing same thing I did woth tech support he gave up and just gave me a new machine. I told the tech and the store manager I don’t even want a new machine I just want that one to work.