Anyone having issues powering on their Surface Book 2?

Anonymous
2018-01-31T22:27:25+00:00

I am having issues the past couple weeks powering on my Surface Book 2 via the power button. It does not respond unless I eject the tablet half from the base and then press the power button. No setting or software changes except the Surface firmware update for Meltdown/Spectre a couple weeks ago. I'd say 1 out of every 5 attempts of me powering on results in a hard reboot and losing everything I had open. This is extremely frustrating! PS. I typically hibernate my PC. Would be great to hear from others that have applied the latest firmware and hibernate, if possible.

Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-02-20T23:56:31+00:00

    I dont think it’s the button also. If it was the button it wouldn’t power on if I disconnect it from the keyboard. My SB2 will not power on if its connected to the keyboard but once I disconnect it, it powers on right away every single time. That is my solution because I am tired of taking it to the MS store and the tech telling me I need a new one. I’ve gone through the process 3 times already, I’m on my 4th SB2.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-02-20T23:24:01+00:00

    I think the physical button is fine on mine, when the computer is only recently put to sleep touching the power button wakes it up right away. Also the problem appeared for me after a firmware update, disappeared after another firmware update, and has now reappeared on the current firmware.

    It's incredibly aggravating dealing with this every morning. Will my computer boot after 5 minutes of pressing the button or will it take half an hour?

    Otherwise the device is great, but I tell anyone who asks me about it to stay away because of this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-02-20T07:41:23+00:00

    It doesn't seem to be the start up process issue, but rather the physical button on the outside of the machine itself. The button kinda barely clicks similar to the way a mouse clicks. It does not depress with a lot of movement like a key stroke on a typical keyboard. My theory is that sometimes you push the button and the computer does not register that you actually pushed the button. So then you push it again a minute later after realizing nothing happened. And then again a minute later after that. Sometimes I press and hold it for three seconds just negate any chance of it being user error by not pushing it in all the way. End result is i use it everyday for work and it NEVER turns on the first time i push the button down no matter if i press and hold or not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-02-20T05:44:50+00:00

    Update: I made an appointment at my local Microsoft store. The tech took it to the back for a bit, and said she couldn't fix it and gave me a new one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-02-20T03:32:24+00:00

    i followed the thread on what to do, confirmed latest firmware, reset and everything has been working perfectly since.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments