Anyone having issues powering on their Surface Book 2?

Anonymous
2018-01-31T22:27:25+00:00

I am having issues the past couple weeks powering on my Surface Book 2 via the power button. It does not respond unless I eject the tablet half from the base and then press the power button. No setting or software changes except the Surface firmware update for Meltdown/Spectre a couple weeks ago. I'd say 1 out of every 5 attempts of me powering on results in a hard reboot and losing everything I had open. This is extremely frustrating! PS. I typically hibernate my PC. Would be great to hear from others that have applied the latest firmware and hibernate, if possible.

Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-06-20T07:44:09+00:00

    SURFACE IS NOT WORTH IT- I wonder why microsoft is selling such worthless products my recommendations is to not buy these products.Buy Mac Instead!

    I have bought my surface from USA in december, i live in India and i am facing the same problem, have tried everything but it is not turning on, only thing working is the eject button on keyboard, rest everything seems dead, i am regretting my decision of buying surface instead of mac, probably this is my first and last microsoft device, i wonder why even today this product is being sold in India, have tried to book service on microsoft site and it shows under warranty but the pin code space is not supporting indian pin code for service, have also called microsoft helpline with no help. Can anyone advice how to get this sorted or should i forget my 1800$ money spent as a lesson learnt.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-06-12T01:54:07+00:00

    Same here. Laptop just died and won't turn on again. Called customer support and says they will only replace the laptop, meaning all my work is gone. 

    Infuriating and feel like at this price point and for that well established a corporation, Microsoft can take a page from its competitors in customer service.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-03-31T17:27:39+00:00

    I'm not sure that I am having the same problem or not - but I have some similar issues. If I leave my SB2 on and unattended for a long time, I will come back and it cannot seem to use the camera or keyboard to sign me in - so I am forced to do a reboot - which is very difficult. I usually have to slide up, then down to shut down the computer. Then I have to press and hold the power button for 30 seconds to have it reboot. It doesn't always respond, but usually it does. 

    I don't understand what it happening while it is unattended. I have turned off all of the sleep/hibernate functions, and have tried to make sure that nothing can be turned off to save power when it is plugged in. But it still acts as if it is broken when I try to use it after it has been sitting overnight or for a length of time unattended.

    This started recently and I have no idea if an update caused it or not.

    Very frustrating. I have run the diagnostics and it cannot find anything wrong.

    I've been very underwhelmed with the reliability of Microsoft Hardware. This computer is AMAZING when it works, but it doesn't work a LOT. Between this problem and problems with it losing the NVidia graphics card over and over again, it is hard to trust this computer in critical situations.

    I really wanted to love this computer and love Microsoft, but it seems like MS doesn't care very much. Their main solution is to throw a refurbished computer at you when you have a problem, but that doesn't fix the problem sometimes and often you get a computer with a new set of problems.

    I am very disappointed in my experience so far. I'm not even angry, just sad.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-02-26T21:29:58+00:00

    I found a work around that prevents me from having to wait before I know if it's starting or not. What I have been doing to this point is waiting for the idol yellow light on my external monitors to turn green as they do when the computer is turning on. The problem with this is that they do not turn on right away during the start up process. So I'm left wondering if my computer is indeed starting or not (The computer is also so quiet it's nearly impossible for me to hear the computer fan whirring on start up). Sometimes I push the button during the start up process which then turns it off during the start up process all because I couldn't tell that it was already in the middle of starting up. 

    Today I just plugged in a USB drive into the side of the computer. The USB drive has a bright light on the side of it that turns on when it is plugged into a computer that is turned on.  After I pushed the button to start the computer, within about 3 seconds the USB drive lit up and I new the computer was on. Therefore from now on, I will push the button and if within a few seconds, the USB doesn't light up then I know I can push the power button again because I know it didn't register. What a weird problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-02-27T18:36:21+00:00

    Hi Timothy,

    If your Surface still gets stuck in hibernation after performing the steps suggested by Mark Ole, we recommend that you run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit. The SDT resolves common Surface problems and the diagnosis usually takes 15 minutes or less, but can take an hour or longer depending on your internet connection speed and the repairs that the tool needs to do to fix the problems.

    Click here to run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit.

    We hope this helps, and keep us updated on this thread.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments