Anyone having issues powering on their Surface Book 2?

Anonymous
2018-01-31T22:27:25+00:00

I am having issues the past couple weeks powering on my Surface Book 2 via the power button. It does not respond unless I eject the tablet half from the base and then press the power button. No setting or software changes except the Surface firmware update for Meltdown/Spectre a couple weeks ago. I'd say 1 out of every 5 attempts of me powering on results in a hard reboot and losing everything I had open. This is extremely frustrating! PS. I typically hibernate my PC. Would be great to hear from others that have applied the latest firmware and hibernate, if possible.

Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-06-23T21:45:03+00:00

    I would reach out to Microsoft and see if they will arrange for you to send it to them in exchange for a refurbished item. They did this with me and it was quick and relatively easy. Not ideal perhaps, but I now have a working unit.

    No doubt at all that Microsoft has some learning to do on hardware, but as much as I get irritated with my SurfaceBook2 sometimes, I can't find anything, even almost 2 years later, to compete with it. It is an amazing piece of kit. Perhaps they were too ambitious with their goals. 

    Not making excuses for MS, I have cussed them blue about this computer. But there are better solutions than considering it $2k wasted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-06-20T11:21:35+00:00

    SURFACE IS NOT WORTH IT- I wonder why microsoft is selling such worthless products my recommendations is to not buy these products.Buy Mac Instead!

    I have bought my surface from USA in december, i live in India and i am facing the same problem, have tried everything but it is not turning on, only thing working is the eject button on keyboard, rest everything seems dead, i am regretting my decision of buying surface instead of mac, probably this is my first and last microsoft device, i wonder why even today this product is being sold in India, have tried to book service on microsoft site and it shows under warranty but the pin code space is not supporting indian pin code for service, have also called microsoft helpline with no help. Can anyone advice how to get this sorted or should i forget my 1800$ money spent as a lesson learnt.

    Through work I have purchased nearly a thousand of them with only a couple of failures. Microsoft helped and replaced them within days. Separate to the Surface my dealings with Microsoft have been all really good over the years, they call me back quickly and have helped in every instance.

    I have one myself and I had the powering on issue which was fixed a few patches ago, late last year from memory, not a single issue since then.

    Sorry you've had such a hard time getting support. Hopefully someone here can help, maybe provide the community with more detailed information on what you've tried to do etc rather than mostly a complaint and someone here maybe able to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-06-12T16:07:17+00:00

    The problem I have is that when I push the power button and it is turning on the computer gives me no indication that it is turning on. I just sits there for like 10 to 15 seconds as if I didn't push any button. Then all of a sudden like a small lazy child reluctant to get out of bed in the morning, it decides to start up and gives me the start up screen etc. The problem is that during that 10 to 15 seconds, I'm not sure if it actually registered with the computer or if I should push it again to turn it on. If I push it again to turn it on during the time that computer was actually in that arbitrary 10 to 15 second zone it will just turn off. So often times I find myself waiting like 30 seconds just to make sure its not already starting up before I push the power button again. 

    My work around solution is that I have a USB drive that has a light on it installed in the computer at all times or that I install before powering on the machine. Instead of having to wait 10 to 15 seconds for the screen to power on, the USB drive only takes 5 seconds to have the little light turn on if the computer is starting up. Not an elegant solution, but it works. Everything else about the computer for me has been great though.  I do wish the computer was not so simplistic looking and more ergonomic to hold with rounded edges etc. but other than that...great!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments